How Long Did It Take You?

DreamNofR1

So, I started out with an R6 about 5 years ago and only had the bike for 2 years and had to sell it. I went down to Southern Ohio maybe 4-5 times through the course of having that bike. I recently bought my R1 a few months ago and went back down to Southern Ohio yesterday. The guy I was with was the same guy I used to ride with years ago. Granted, he's been riding a lot longer than me but I still couldn't keep up with him. Yesterday was my first time back on the twisty roads after several years. I know I'm still learning but I am just curious...how long did it take you to master these roads and keep up with the big dawgs???

um.... if you dropped your R6 4-5 times maybe you should have went to a scooter instead of an R1?!?!? :dunno:;)

He's saying he visited 4-5 times. ;)

OP, don't worry about your friend being faster, if you're enjoying yourself that's all that matters. They can wait.

I suggest a riding school. I went to a trackday first and realized that I needed more extensive training than what I learned at a trackday. I've gone to a riding school multiple times since then, and now I'm a completely different rider.

I've watched riding videos and read some stuff online, but nothing quite compares to being coached while riding. I am a hands-on learner, so your results may vary.

Actually, at the end of my most recent riding school class, my coach was stunned and told me that I was a completely different rider just from the morning to afternoon.

:D sorry guess i should fully read before trying to be a smart ass!!! I agree with RSV dont push yourself past something you will regret! a friend or good fellow rider will always wait.

He's saying he visited 4-5 times. ;)

OP, don't worry about your friend being faster, if you're enjoying yourself that's all that matters. They can wait.

I'm not necessarily worried, so-to-say, I'd just like to be able to keep up with him at some point. I'm sure I will, it just takes experience. I was just curious with everyone else though cause the other guy that was with us (had a group of about 6 go but I only knew one of them) has only been riding for 4 years and he was pretty fast as well. It's just more curiosity than anything. It's not like I'm telling myself that if I have gone down there X amount of times, I should be a master by now.

Keeping up with others is a recipe for disaster. Am I enjoying myself should be your measuring stick. The size of the bike or how long you have been riding has nothing to do with your speed. What you are willing to risk, how mindful of the law you want to be are better indicators. Just because someone is faster on a back road than you are doesn't mean they are a better rider or a better person.

I suggest a riding school. I went to a trackday first and realized that I needed more extensive training than what I learned at a trackday. I've gone to a riding school multiple times since then, and now I'm a completely different rider.

I've watched riding videos and read some stuff online, but nothing quite compares to being coached while riding. I am a hands-on learner, so your results may vary.

Actually, at the end of my most recent riding school class, my coach was stunned and told me that I was a completely different rider just from the morning to afternoon.

Wow, no kidding. I knew you could learn tips and tricks but being a whole different rider from morning to afternoon? That's impressive. Don't get me wrong, I AM having fun and love doing this stuff - I just want to be the best I can be, that's all.

Keeping up with others is a recipe for disaster. Am I enjoying myself should be your measuring stick. The size of the bike or how long you have been riding has nothing to do with your speed. What you are willing to risk, how mindful of the law you want to be are better indicators. Just because someone is faster on a back road than you are doesn't mean they are a better rider or a better person.

Oh I definitely am enjoying myself, that's for sure. The guy I have gone with has been to riding school and a few track days. I do listen to him and take tips anywhere I can.

Oh okay, I thought he was telling me to stay away from public roads. I do agree that a track day (school) should be in my future - it's just a matter of taking the time away from work (schedule is different day to day) and getting the money together.

But, this got a little off topic...maybe I should word it differently. How long did it take you to be comfortable on twisty roads? Not gonna lie - there's some turns down that way that definitely scared me a little.

Oh okay, I thought he was telling me to stay away from public roads. I do agree that a track day (school) should be in my future - it's just a matter of taking the time away from work (schedule is different day to day) and getting the money together.

But, this got a little off topic...maybe I should word it differently. How long did it take you to be comfortable on twisty roads? Not gonna lie - there's some turns down that way that definitely scared me a little.

Comfortable is a relative term.

If you think you can't afford a track day then wait until you wreck and see how expensive that is. Seriously a track day is a wise investment to give yourself a skill set that you can't acquire on your own and will give you the ability to get yourself out of trouble.

How long it takes you to get more comfortable is a question that can't be answered. If it were a formula then everyone would be able to ride the same pace after they hit a spot on a time line. Not ever going to happen. There will always be someone faster than you with less riding time. In any group of riders there are faster and slower riders but in most cases the amount of time each of them has been riding is not the deciding factor.

You're trying to compare yourself at something that cannot be compared. I could be a first year rider and be comfortable (read stupid) enough to take a 90 degree turn at 150mph. Or I could be riding for 7 years and be comfortable enough to take that turn at 100mph. We can't tell you that at 2 years you should have the ability and confidence to ride a certain way.

The riding school will teach you how to choose appropriate lines in any corner. Since the riding school I'm comfortable on just about any road.

i'm never fully comfortable riding public roads at a spirited pace. too many variables that are ALWAYS changing - gravel/sand/dirt/animals/trees down around the corner/oncoming cars/etc you get the point. sure i've gotten used to it and am very relaxed while riding, but i'll never be able to say i'm 100% comfy with the ever-changing conditions.

but to answer your question, i was more comfortable doing those roads after my first trackday ;) but each trackday/race that i do, i find myself urging less to go down to hocking or the like because i get my fill (safely) on the track.