How Long Did It Take You?

DreamNofR1

Keeping up with others is a recipe for disaster. Am I enjoying myself should be your measuring stick. The size of the bike or how long you have been riding has nothing to do with your speed. What you are willing to risk, how mindful of the law you want to be are better indicators. Just because someone is faster on a back road than you are doesn't mean they are a better rider or a better person.

Well put.

i'm never fully comfortable riding public roads at a spirited pace. too many variables that are ALWAYS changing - gravel/sand/dirt/animals/trees down around the corner/oncoming cars/etc you get the point. sure i've gotten used to it and am very relaxed while riding, but i'll never be able to say i'm 100% comfy with the ever-changing conditions.

but to answer your question, i was more comfortable doing those roads after my first trackday ;) but each trackday/race that i do, i find myself urging less to go down to hocking or the like because i get my fill (safely) on the track.

That's actually somewhat how I feel. I may never be fully comfortable because of those changing conditions (most roads were great but there was one that was covered with branches from a storm the night before). That's more of the honest answer I was looking for, thank you.

:dunno:

I've done a handful of track days and have been riding with the same crew since 2004... and I still can't catch them. Maybe I should take up needlepoint.

Needlepoint sounds about right for you. Just don't go trying to start repairing and maintaining motorcycles. I'm not so sure you'd be any good at that. :rolleyes:

It takes 8 times to master public roads. Step your game up or GTFO!

If you wanted to learn to carve the back roads, why did you get an R1?

Same reason anyone gets one of their first bikes - it was my dream bike. I've always been biased towards Yamaha for some reason and I can't explain it. Is there a better bike out there for what I want to do? I'm sure there is. But I'm happy with my R1 and it'll be just fine for me.

Same reason anyone gets one of their first bikes - it was my dream bike. I've always been biased towards Yamaha for some reason and I can't explain it. Is there a better bike out there for what I want to do? I'm sure there is. But I'm happy with my R1 and it'll be just fine for me.

TigerPaw's probably thinking a 600 supersport would be better than a liter bike for carving the corners, due to the lighter weight, etc...

TigerPaw's probably thinking a 600 supersport would be better than a liter bike for carving the corners, due to the lighter weight, etc...

Understandable. But like I said, I don't even look in any other direction besides Yamaha. I'm just utterly attracted to their styling and performance.

I also want to add that I'll probably only be doing twisty type roads a few times over the Summer and maybe a couple track days a year (once I get into them). I seriously doubt I'll ever become someone that craves doing this every single weekend. I also enjoy straight roads as well - more relaxing and scenery is great to look at.

In a street application, the literbike is just as capable as the 600 in all forms of performance. Who cares what the engine size is.

My $0.02

I was only concerned with the "etc...":p

OP, I was just being snippy, because I started on a 250 and never mastered shyte! Take your time...try for that feeling when you finish a curve perfectly(and know it), not the exact speed.

Keeping up with others is a recipe for disaster. Am I enjoying myself should be your measuring stick. The size of the bike or how long you have been riding has nothing to do with your speed. What you are willing to risk, how mindful of the law you want to be are better indicators. Just because someone is faster on a back road than you are doesn't mean they are a better rider or a better person.

This.

Measure your skill on a track day, and fuck whatever your riding buddies do.

Nelson ledges with motoseries is $125 iirc. Gas there and back and some food and your good. Not that expensive and it's weekends. Theyre fun and help you learn your bike.

I agree with MT and that the fastest person is the one with the least to lose.

If that's u in your avatar pic u have 75% of the cost of your first track day covered. Keep it cheap. If u don't have a truck or trailer split gas with someone, get a $20 tent and sleep at the track, pack some water and light snacks. Guarantee u could do a trackday out the door for $250 or less.

Now if u get caught (not saying your breaking the law but most Leo may consider u guilty by association) the fines and insurance hike would be wayyy more then that. Plus if the worst was to happen at least at the track u have medical staff at the ready.

It looks like u have all the gear. Stop making excuses and bring your ass out to the track.

I was just talking to someone the other day about Nelson Ledges. The words "horrible" and "sketchy track" came up several times. I was just reading about the Mid-Ohio school. Weekdays would suck to request off from work but I'm sure it could happen. Weekends would be a lot better.

And yes, I already have a truck (and the same gear I bought several years ago), just need to get some ramps. I'm not making excuses - I only talk about money because I'm trying to buy a house right now. Still saving up for the down payment. Buuuuut a track day looks like sooooo much fun :cheers:

Well, come out east and ride Coshocton with me Tim and Brent. Lots have done that and are usually happy and feel they learned something like postion or picking lines and theres usually only a crash every other ride so if you come this weekend you should be safe.

Well, come out east and ride Coshocton with me Tim and Brent. Lots have done that and are usually happy and feel they learned something like postion or picking lines and theres usually only a crash every other ride so if you come this weekend you should be safe.

I was just telling a buddy that I wanted to ride that area soon. My ex was from that area and all I could remember when I dated her and when we used to go visit her parents, I'd be like, damn, I wish I had that R6 still. But years later, I got me an R1 baby!

You're going this weekend? I'm off of work...this could work.

I was just talking to someone the other day about Nelson Ledges. The words "horrible" and "sketchy track" came up several times. I was just reading about the Mid-Ohio school. Weekdays would suck to request off from work but I'm sure it could happen. Weekends would be a lot better.

And yes, I already have a truck (and the same gear I bought several years ago), just need to get some ramps. I'm not making excuses - I only talk about money because I'm trying to buy a house right now. Still saving up for the down payment. Buuuuut a track day looks like sooooo much fun :cheers:

nelson is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. If your on a budget then it's perfect. Most of the people i know that complain about how bumpy and patchy it is still ride it if that tells u anything.

I was just telling a buddy that I wanted to ride that area soon. My ex was from that area and all I could remember when I dated her and when we used to go visit her parents, I'd be like, damn, I wish I had that R6 still. But years later, I got me an R1 baby!

You're going this weekend? I'm off of work...this could work.

We usually do every weekend at some point