How Long Did It Take You?

DreamNofR1

Not to start a pissing match but I have only seen a few people that come out to a first trackday that could run maybe mid I group let alone mid A. This includes people that have been riding for years on the street blazing twisty roads. Fast on the street doesn't mean fast on the track. I'm sure UP can back me on this but I don't ride anywhere near track pace on the street.

Yeah, there's no way I'd do the kind of pace on the street that I'd learn on the track. But I get what y'all are saying - it's more about the instruction than anything. Time to get some funds together and maybe a friend or two to go up with me so I don't look completely retarded :D

Um, about 8 minuts if i'm lucky with a condom...:wtf:

without, i'm just so excited it usually happens before anything happens!

Oh. not the same stuff. Um. Yah. I want leathers so I can go to a track.

OH! I want a bike first... Dam...:cry:

Besides track days what are other options to learn? MSF? Are there good training videos or books out there(I've read twist of the wrist and david hough books)? I'm not knocking track days would love to do one just curious about other options...

How's this for an opinion I never took the MSF course and think it's a waste of time for people who have any experience with the physical controls of a motorcycle like a dirt bike with a clutch and gears.

Take my opinion for what it's worth because I have no knowledge about what value the MSF course offers.

How's this for an opinion I never took the MSF course and think it's a waste of time for people who have any experience with the physical controls of a motorcycle like a dirt bike with a clutch and gears.

Take my opinion for what it's worth because I have no knowledge about what value the MSF course offers.

lulz

:ban:

You should do atleast 1 trackday, it's a great learning experience IMO. I left much better than I did before. I am a good corner carver on the street because of what I was taught. I spoke with the instructor a lot as well and they helped me the whole day with tips and tricks. I'm not into always doing trackdays because I love street riding, but everyone should do atleast 1. Just my $.02 :)

Funny I never said they were a waste of time just that I don't see them as teaching street skills. I would say that a track school is far better for learning then a track day or am I off base since i have no knowledge of these things.

I wasn't trying to be funny and I have stated my opinion on here about the MSF before. It was a bonus that it came out humorous because I'm cool like that.

For the record I really do think the MSF course is a waste of time if you already have the ability to control a clutch and gears on a motorcycle. Anyone with a weekend of riding a dirt bike should be able to bypass the MSF course.

This is my perspective without taking the course and I am not trying to put words into speedytriple's mouth.

I have to chime in here. I rode with you this past weeakend, and I didn't seem to think you were slow. You were doing the right thing by not riding above your ability. When the leader stopped you were right behind. You are forgetting that Jeff has many years of riding, and many track days behind him.

Well, Mid-O is only 40-45 mins. from me so the trip won't be that bad. But yeah, I'll try to get this together...

Honestly after doing Mid O today it is well worth the money. You will be amazed afterwards the difference in your riding.

For the record I really do think the MSF course is a waste of time if you already have the ability to control a clutch and gears on a motorcycle. Anyone with a weekend of riding a dirt bike should be able to bypass the MSF course.

This is my perspective without taking the course and I am not trying to put words into speedytriple's mouth.

I'm not sure I agree. Before riding the street bike, I'd ridden dirt bikes several times over the years. The theory of operation was easy in the transition. The differences in riding style are where the class pays off. On a dirt bike you use a lot of body english, often leaning away from the bike in certain traction situations. That's not what you want to do on the street where traction(usually) is plentiful and you want to lean with the bike. Maybe I was lucky since my instructor also does a lot of STT events and worked on my form throughout the day to break dirt bike habits. At the end of the class, I realized that we had only done the tip of the iceburg. There is only so much they can do in 8 hours of riding within the boundaries of a parking lot, so a trackday still seems like the way to go for the issues this post is about, I'm just saying that for $25 the msf does have value.

Also I think a lot of the value of the class is in the classroom. Most people blow that part off, but it forces you to re examine the situations and hazards that exist

on the road that don't on a trail or even in a car. For most of the people in the class, it has been years since they took any type of driver education and this class is a good refresher. There's more to riding safely on the street than just working the clutch and shifting. The msf helps new riders shift their mode of thinking as they ride as well. This is especially important if the rider is new to motorcycles and does not know any experienced riders to learn from.

I signed up for the MSF Advanced Rider Course - Sport riding techniques. I'm in the August class in Columbus. For 25$ and a day's time, I figure if I pick up anything it will be worth it. I have a feeling it won't be a whole lot new for me, after learning from some of the people I have been on rides with, but I can always pickup something!

One day maybe? Just have a hard time dropping that much cash for a few hours of riding with some riding tips thrown in. I was all ready to do one when I had my cbr but not so much with the triple.

Oh, I totally understand. I wouldn't pay that much either. My trackday was FREE. :lol: An old buddy around that time paid my way because he wanted me to go. It was a KAWASAKI only day sponsored by Kawasaki and was only $99. He took care of it, so I just bought gas to get there in truck and fuel in my bikes tank. :cool:

Edited by NinjaNick

Well, come out east and ride Coshocton with me Tim and Brent. Lots have done that and are usually happy and feel they learned something like postion or picking lines and theres usually only a crash every other ride so if you come this weekend you should be safe.

I haz not road wif u. I r Squid. Can I brink my Katana and break it luse at 140.

I signed up for the MSF Advanced Rider Course - Sport riding techniques. I'm in the August class in Columbus. For 25$ and a day's time, I figure if I pick up anything it will be worth it. I have a feeling it won't be a whole lot new for me, after learning from some of the people I have been on rides with, but I can always pickup something!

I think it is like anything. The basic course teaches you just that, the basics. The advanced probably falls between the basic and a track school. The track school teaches you riding techniques at higher speeds, but skips the basics. Its all about having the right expectation for the experince. What is nice about motorcycles is that there is a structured building block approach to it where you can advance your skills one step at a time with skilled instruction if you want.

I have to chime in here. I rode with you this past weeakend, and I didn't seem to think you were slow. You were doing the right thing by not riding above your ability. When the leader stopped you were right behind. You are forgetting that Jeff has many years of riding, and many track days behind him.

Oh no kidding, that was you? Ha, that's kinda funny. Thanks for the compliments. I don't believe I was all that slow and I do realize Jeff has a lot more riding experience than me. This thread wasn't meant to be, "I suck cause I'm not fast," I was just trying to get a feel of other people's experiences, thoughts, etc. That's all. This took off in a whole other direction, but it's still nice to get other feedback as well.

I miss the kawasaki days at mido

Were you there on Aug 1st in 2006? If so I was there with you. :cool:

Got to meet some people too!

Here's a 12 yr old at the time running amazing lap times.

12yroldracingphenom.jpg

ME on left and Greg White in center that day.

MeGregWhiteDennis.jpg

Kent Kunitsugu editor of SportRider and I

KentKunitsuguandI.jpg

All in all AWESOME day....learned a lot and talked to people well known in the industry. :cool: