Why you shouldn't start out on a new bike

Casper

letting new guy lead makes it easier for him to set his own pace....instead of having him pushing his limits in the back trying to keep up with more experienced riders

Or he keeps looking in his mirror feeling he is holding everyone back so he pushes it. Keep him in the back and make sure the leader is driving at the noobs pace. It takes a very aware and knowledgeable rider to lead a noob.

Early apex, no body position movement, minimal lean angle.... Grabbing a handful of brake once he fixated and got scared sealed that one.

Although the guardrail probably saved him from a serious injury.

If the trail bike had hit the wrecked bike it would have been a nasty ending.

I like how no one helps until asked. The guy driving the cage was the first to step up. Sad.

Edited by BDBGoalie

I prefer a pre-ride brief about route, signals, conditions, expected speeds, etc.

Experienced rider familiar with roads in front and experienced rider in rear. Encourage the greener riders to not exceed their limits. Try to have the lead keep the pace down.

Don't know if he was going too fast - the speedo on the VFR reads 54 at the point of the crash - I think the approaching car might have freaked him out. I remember early on feeling that way when a car would approach in mid-corner.

letting new guy lead makes it easier for him to set his own pace....instead of having him pushing his limits in the back trying to keep up with more experienced riders

In theory I agree, but from my experience it ends like this did. So I started leading at a mild to medium pace and kept an eye on the other rider. I like to see how they're doing then let them lead after they get some time on the bike.

Here is the best reason (almost) noone should ever buy a brand new bike http://www.craigslist.org their are just way too many (almost new)used ones out there at 2/3's the cost or less. This goes for cars too in my book, i will never buy another brand new vehicle ever again.

This is why I like riding with small groups of experienced riders... Everyone can go their own pace and nobody has anything to worry about... The last trip to the shack me and marlboro man were a few minutes ahead of the other 3 bikes but nobody tried pushing it and nobody wrecked... Everyone goes their own speed and regroup at stop signs

Group rides (imo) make people ride faster because there is a lead bike to help navigate.. Of lead bike knows the roads, it takes some mystery out of blind hills and corners.... This video looks like new guy got into the same pace as the other bikes and just didn't have the knowledge or experience to hold it... He probably should have gotten more solo seat time before going out with a group

Love how the shit head wouldn't even help pull his own bike off the road.

Although its probably hard to walk with the squishy he made in his pants.

In the video description it said he broke his hand and arm, so I imagine he wouldn't have been much good at lifting a 400 lb object at that point.

-Charlie

I guess its time to lower the standard for the engine size people should start on.

I let newbs lead if they are comfortable but I don't have a problem jumping ahead pulling over and telling them to ease up. If they aren't comfortable I ride really slow so they don't feel pressured to ride faster than they can.

He stood the bike up mid corner while trailing the brakes...what did he expect was going to happen. If he would have trusted his bike and leaned more he would have been fine. This is why they preach to stay the heck off of the brakes mid corner.

Here is the best reason (almost) noone should ever buy a brand new bike http://www.craigslist.org their are just way too many (almost new)used ones out there at 2/3's the cost or less. This goes for cars too in my book, i will never buy another brand new vehicle ever again.

Don't tell everyone that or we won't have nice bikes to buy used!

wtf? He didn't even try to make that turn...

IKR

Don't know if he was going too fast - the speedo on the VFR reads 54 at the point of the crash - I think the approaching car might have freaked him out. I remember early on feeling that way when a car would approach in mid-corner.

Yeah, that can freak you out sometimes, especially if the car is a cop lol

Edited by SWing'R

I'm pretty certain we know what it's called. The point it happened on that slight bend in the road raises issue of lack of competence of the rider. Target fixation or not there is no reason to blow that tiny "curve"

Camera video does not always do a curve justice. The wide angle lens of

most cameras tends to make a curve look less on video than they really are.

Not necessarily that this was the case here, just saying in general.

Size of the engine doesn't matter if you can't turn...that guy would have wrecked a razor scooter.

I was being sarcastic it was more directed at people who say it should be a requirement to start on a smaller bike like they do in other countries.

regarding newbies leading or following in groups, from the OH motorcycle operator manual:

Choose a lead rider and a sweep rider. These should be the most experienced

riders of the group. The lead rider should look ahead for changes

in road, traffic or weather conditions, and signal early so the word

gets back in plenty of time to the other riders. The sweep rider is

the last rider in the group, and sets the pace for the group. Place

inexperienced riders just behind the leader. That ensures that they

won’t have to chase after the group, and the more experienced

riders can watch them from the back.