What Rain Gear Do You Wear?

JackFlash

All my jackets are water proof or have a removable liner, boots I buy are always water proof(most are), as far as pants I have a pair of riding pants that have a removable thermo and rain liner(Slider all season) but when I just wear jeans I have a pair of frogtog pants stowed away that I can slip on. Gloves I just wear what comfortable and have a 2nd pair for when it finally quits raining

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I wear an REI 2 piece (generic gortex) rain suit over my normal riding gear. I wasn't very impressed with frog togs. Gloves are aero stitch waterproof over mitts. Boots get rubbed down with snow seal. I've stayed relatively dry & comfortable on some relatively long rides through some frog choker rain with this setup.

Whether you do or don't ride in rain, the one thing you will regret is not having rain gloves. Or something to put over your good gloves so they won't get wet.

Once your regular riding gloves get wet, they are never the same. Once soft and comfortable, they become harsh and stiff, and you wish you had new ones.

I suppose there is a way to recondition them, I'll have to think about that. I've got some volunteers...

edit: regular Frogg Toggs aren't made for riding. They make Road Toads for that...

Edited by ReconRat

I won't buy 4 season gear unless it is waterproof, same goes for motorcycle boots. Having to wear or put on actual rain gear over your initial gear is both hot and a pain in the ass.

Does your waterproof gear breathe well? When I hear "waterproof", I can't help but think air-proof as well.

Does your waterproof gear breathe well? When I hear "waterproof", I can't help but think air-proof as well.

Yup.....all vents have sealed zippers in either pants or jackets, also is pretty quick to pull over and make any adjustments needed. You are gonna be much hotter wearing rain gear over anything else, and believe me I have ridden in allot of rain. Can't say enough about good gloves and also having spare sets with ya, heated grips also feel pretty darn good in colder rain as well. :cool:

In cooler weather I wear a Tourmaster Transition II jacket and First Gear HT 2 Overpants, along with TCX X-Five boots. IIRC my wet riding gloves are Firstgear "Fargo".

This combo will work for light rain, but if it is gonna be a "frog strangler", I'll put the Tourmaster 2 piece rain suit on over this (or over my mesh gear when it's warmer). Doesn't breath all to well, but really keeps the rain out. The under helmet hood is nice because you don't have water running down your neck.

One thing you may want to do is get a pair of the biggest kitchen rubber gloves that you can find (cheap) and wear them over your riding gloves. They don't give much feel, but your hands (and good gloves) will remain dry.

I won't buy anything that isn't waterproof either....If you ride much you will be riding in rain.

Gear is important to me, I have a ton from years of riding.

I have a Firstgear Jaunt T2 jacket, that I can say is 100% waterproof, and has decent venting, I'll wear it until it gets in the 80's, then I'll wear a air jacket, I have a couple different ones, when it rains I put the waterproof liner on under it. I also have a Belstaff jacket that I wear a lot..

For pants I have a pair of Aerostitch Darian's, and a pair of Firstgear TPG's. Both 100% waterproof. I always wear them. When it's hot, you can unzip the sides, and open the vents, and wear shorts under them.

For boots, I like Alpinestars Ridge...also 100% waterproof, I wear them all the time.

I have several pairs of gloves. Below 70's or so, i wear waterproof Joe Rocket, or Alpinestars gloves, above 80's I wear air gloves....

When riding usually I don't even have to stop if it starts raining, unless it's hot, then I need to change gloves, and put on my liner....

Nothing worse than being wet/cold when riding...It took me many years to figure all of it out...I once road to Daytona in the early 70's with a Army Fatigue jacket, work gloves, and a Bell Star helmet in March...On a H1 Talk about miserable.....

At the moment I have a most excellent Tourmaster Transition II jacket "tested thoroughly in hours of riding in the rain", Field Sheer booster pants "butt and crotch will eventually get wet due to run off from the tank and your jacket", Olympia Monsoon gloves, and currently have Firstgear Kili Hi waterproof boots. I prefer to have wet hands with feel than dry hands with no feel, hence why I always have multiple pairs of gloves with me.

I have a cheap coleman camping rain suit. I've worn it all of 1 time because we got caught in a storm down on the BRP. I don't go out if I know its going to rain so I never really invested in good rain gear. I however do not suggest such a suit for very long because its hotter than hell

Field Sheer booster pants "butt and crotch will eventually get wet due to run off from the tank and your jacket"

I read on the Iron Butt list once that someone was taking a mixture of silicone caulk and mineral spirits to make a thin "paste" which they spread on to the crotch/butt of their riding pants to make them waterproof. I have not tried this yet but it sounds good in theory.

I would probably take some material (say an old tank bag) and try it before doing this to my riding gear.

If I get around to doing this, I'll keep you posted.

frog togs are terrible they are stiff as cardboard and kinda pricy

I recommend Coleman outdoor wear from walmart. They are very comfortable and you can get a set for around 50 bucks. i have had mine for about six years and ridden over 5000 miles inthe rain with them. they might be my best motorcycle gear purchase ever

I have a set of frogg toggs road toads and some boot covers and some super thin gore tex gloves the frogg toggs work great unless you have a bike where water puddles on seat like would happen on my zx14 then I'd have a wet crotch but the rest of me would be dry

Edited by conn-e-rot

ive got a tourmaster jacket and tourmaster overpants that are waterproof. if its looking like rain, ill wear em. sidi waterproof boots. the only thing i dont have thats waterproof is gloves. :(

My main jacket/pants are Tourmaster Transition 2 and Caliber. Claimed waterproof and not bad at that either. But on a long fast ride with rain water finds its way in at several locations. If it warm, no problem. But if its cool/cold it gets hard to stay warm. The jacket has a number of large vents that are great when its hot and dry but are not quite fully water proof when its raining hard and you are doing 60.

I picked up a 2 piece rain suit on closeout to have when the weather is questionable and I will be riding a long time. Provides and extra layer of dry and warm.

I have a couple pair of waterproof gloves , however when its raining hard the water will run down your jacket in to the gloves (large outside the jacket gauntlets). I would imagine if I went over the gloves with the jacket then at speed some water would get it that way.

I used some Nikwax on my full leather gloves. While it did not make them waterproof, it keeps them soft and flexible when they dry again after I forgot to bring water proof gloves on vacation last year. :(

My boots are water proof (A* Ridge). They work fine as long as I can keep the pants over the boots. Due to my long inseam that has been difficult when riding. The rain pants help because they have a strap that goes under the boots to keep the pants down.

I have not seen a rubber glove that would go over my XXL armored gloves. Where do you find such a thing?

Craig

I got my rain gear at Iron Pony on close out for CHEAP!

Fieldsheer pants and jacket. Very lightweight and breathable. I think I got both for under $75. And they work great! Been tested a few times.