Ever been locked out of your house?

shadyone

Im house sitting for my grandparents while they are in Florida. I went to check on the house the other day and the garage door was frozen shut. This is how I enter and then use a key to open the door into the house. Well when I was attempting to pull up on the door I caught the locking handle and it turned. SO ... now im locked out. 

Is it worth it to call a locksmith or what. cant seem to find any other easy way in. all doors and windows are locked of course.

I've been locked out before, but luckily the neighbors knew me and let me borrow a cordless drill. Drill out the heads of the two screws holding lock together on a door and voila (assuming the deadbolt isn't locked). Now you're out two long machine screws instead of a cost for a locksmith. Alternatively you can drill the lock, but then you're out most of the mechanism which is much more costly than $1 from home depot.

Do they have a sliding glass door or double doors in the back? Those are equally as easy to open if they haven't put in an anchor or pipe in the track.

Any reason you need in? If you are not feeding pets just pick up the mail and walk around the house. Any other family members with a spate key?

I locked myself out several times, once with Jason too.

Once was a few years ago in the middle of winter. The cat had to pee so I went out with her and I locked the door out of habit. Keys, phone and coat in the house neighbors at work. Waited 2 hrs for Jason to come home I used the grill to light the mail and made a fire in the pit.

Locked myself out once. Me and the wifey came home from the bar and she immediately went upstairs and passed out, leaving her purse, phone etc on the counter. I went out for a smoke and locked the door behind me due to muscle memory, leaving my keys on the counter. I beat on the door for about 15 minutes before the cops came. When they showed up I was trying to slip the doorknob with a spatula from the bbq. After a lengthy conversation of them accusing me of fighting with her and being locked out by her, I was asked to leave my own property. Walked up the road and stayed on a buddy's couch.

• Upvote 1

They do have a sliding door on the back. also they will be gone till april so I water the plants and run the water. Also they are having a painter come this week so he needs to be able to get in. 

Whats the sliding door trick?

I'd call a locksmith and play it safe, but there is a free alternative. Just anonymously call in a bogus tip that drugs are being made/sold there, let the cops bust the door in to raid it.....they break it, they buy it. :dunno: Just hope they wont prosecute Gma for the small bag of hooch and vibrator in her dresser.

Couldn't get the sliding door off the bottom track and too track both are too thick to allow the outside door to come off. I'm assuming the inside door has to go first. Called a lock smith. Meeting him there tomorrow night.

Couldn't get the sliding door off the bottom track and too track both are too thick to allow the outside door to come off. I'm assuming the inside door has to go first. Called a lock smith. Meeting him there tomorrow night.

Good thing you aren't in the burglary business. :D

That was my thought exactly. I thought I was clever getting the screen of of a window. then I realized I couldnt get to the locking mechanism from between the window frames like I was hoping. then I realized I had to get inside to get the screen back in place. Luckily my uncle is a master thief. He somehow got the garage door unlocked. so no need to get the locksmith. and Im back in business. at least till the next storm. Thanks everyone,