New to me 2007 Honda VFR800 Interceptor

Gump

Nice viffer gump. I'm with Bad, check out the charging system, especially the stator to R/R connector. They tend to burn. - I'm a bit of a VFR charging system guru if you have any questions. The on-board voltmeter is a good idea.

Thanks! I'm sure I will hit up you and bad once I take the fairings off. Is it just a matter of a few bad connections? Or more so the r/r fries everything? I'd like a voltage gauge but also like to keep it oem. They make a light but it only glowed green at proper voltage, then Amber with low voltage, than red with really low voltage. No color for when it's over voltage and I read that's the problem. Any meter suggestions?

Edited by Gump

Nice viffer gump. I'm with Bad, check out the charging system, especially the stator to R/R connector. They tend to burn. - I'm a bit of a VFR charging system guru if you have any questions. The on-board voltmeter is a good idea.

I might need your help as well, since most vfrd threads are bit too advanced for me :( i need to check the electricals as well as I completely ignored it so far (with good luck so far )

The r/r can fry everything but I believe it's rare to effect anything more than the stator and that damn connector wire. Between Pauly and I I'm pretty sure over half of the electrical components on my mine were replaced and upgraded.

Ask Mykill what a pain in the ass dealing with the stock electrical is. The 07 should definitely fair better though as they made some changes in 06 to help those issues

Edited by Bad324

The r/r can fry everything but I believe it's rare to effect anything more than the stator and that damn connector wire. Between Pauly and I I'm pretty sure over half of the electrical components on my mine were replaced and upgraded.

Ask Mykill what a pain in the ass dealing with the stock electrical is. The 07 should definitely fair better though as they made some changes in 06 to help those issues

I read there was a safety recall for 04-06 vfr800's where the dealers replace the problem areas for free. Did yours not fall into that? Recall # 07V359000. It said the dealers dimple the vin plate in two specific areas if it was performed. I Also read that "some 07's" probably early production were also recalled.

I might need your help as well, since most vfrd threads are bit too advanced for me :( i need to check the electricals as well as I completely ignored it so far (with good luck so far )

If your bike is in the 40k - 50k + range, yes, you are due for a charging system check. OEM stators typically will eat it at 50k, RR's much less. 

I read there was a safety recall for 04-06 vfr800's where the dealers replace the problem areas for free. Did yours not fall into that? Recall # 07V359000. It said the dealers dimple the vin plate in two specific areas if it was performed. I Also read that "some 07's" probably early production were also recalled.

I believe Mine was done by the original owner. But all they did was replace it with more honda junk that failed 5k miles later

I'm not sure exactly what the 6th gen electric recall was about, but agree its a waste of bucks to reinstall OEM R/Rs, The stock stator is decent. That said, I recently fixed a '07 that the stator died at 15k miles, and it was the factory part. 

Thanks! I'm sure I will hit up you and bad once I take the fairings off. Is it just a matter of a few bad connections? Or more so the r/r fries everything? I'd like a voltage gauge but also like to keep it oem. They make a light but it only glowed green at proper voltage, then Amber with low voltage, than red with really low voltage. No color for when it's over voltage and I read that's the problem. Any meter suggestions?

On meters, I'm not a fan of the green/yellow/red light style because the range of the green is too wide and into the problem area in the low end. A digital is way better so you can see the trend of what is going on with the bike.  

assembled.jpg

Here's a link with plenty of ideas..... Lots guys just buy a waterproof meter from ebay........

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70384-post-your-voltmeter-mount-pics/

The thing with the charging system is the components are undersized and if something goes, it tend to take other stuff with it if its not fixed in a reasonable time frame. Plenty of guys on the stator connector either cut it out and solder direct or replace it with a much larger connector such as a Delphi MetriPack. 

On meters, I'm not a fan of the green/yellow/red light style because the range of the green is too wide and into the problem area in the low end. A digital is way better so you can see the trend of what is going on with the bike.

assembled.jpg

Here's a link with plenty of ideas..... Lots guys just buy a waterproof meter from ebay........

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70384-post-your-voltmeter-mount-pics/

The thing with the charging system is the components are undersized and if something goes, it tend to take other stuff with it if its not fixed in a reasonable time frame. Plenty of guys on the stator connector either cut it out and solder direct or replace it with a much larger connector such as a Delphi MetriPack.

Thanks. That's about the one spot that doesn't require cutting. Be nice if they made a round waterproof one that would fit in the steering stem hole but so far the smallest diameter I've found is 28mm.

The steering stem hole is the perfect size for a powerlet outlet though :)

You mean a USB power outlet? Did you know what the name of it was? I must of looked at outlets and voltage meters for 3 hours. Rather not cut anything but still like to keep an OEM look.

Double post....

Tim,

I dunno about riding to the gap. I got his  sporadic chronic joint and back pain crap going on. It starts and I'm a grumpy asshole.

Edited by Gump

You mean a USB power outlet?

Even better idea! When I did mine like 5 years ago all they had was the powerlet one. Love the thing though since my gps mount is at the tank bolts. My USB plug hooks up to the battery tender cord and goes in my tail bag