Pick up your trash

Gump

About bit it when one of those large rectangular shaped Rubbermaid container lids shot out from behind the truck in front me, lifted up like an airliner and smacked my front tire, fender, and fairing area. No time to do anything but juke left no good, juke right no good, hold steady. Butt pucker

Even been at full lean and then seen an 8x4 sheet of thin plywood lying on the road right in your path?

All I could do was stand it up, cross the plywood in a straight line then get back into the lean - and being thankful there was enough shoulder to runoff and complete the turn.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse Gump.

I was lucky on I-75 commuting home one day, years ago.  Left lane, maybe 75mph, truck about 5 or 6 lengths ahead of me kicked up a 2 sqft chunk of plywood.   It went straight up in the air, came down and struck my helmet's visor.....that's it.   I barely saw it coming before it hit my head.  I didn't flinch, didn't swerve, just a bit shocked by the impact and counted my blessings afterwards.   Of anything it could've struck that day, it hit the cheapest piece of gear I was wearing.  $30 to replace the shield.

Ugh. quote option is not working.......

All these stories could have been worse. Good to hear they weren't. Plywood, laying in a curve, would really suck.

Edited by Gump

315 this morning around OSU, multiple items on roadway bouncing back and forth between lanes and the walls as cars hit them like pinballs.  One bounced off my front tire and into the side of the car next to me, then it when somewhere behind me.  As fast as it all happened looked to be about the size of mini baskeballs.  Happened so fast I had no time to do anything. It shook the bike pretty hard but no damage I could see before I had to run into the office.

On the recent Kollwink trip Dan, myself, Tim and Andy dodged some guy ahead of us...that we couldn't see...dropping his whole trailer full of lumber all over the road.  Every couple of miles for about 30 miles there would be another 2.x4 or something similar.

On the recent Kollwink trip Dan, myself, Tim and Andy dodged some guy ahead of us...that we couldn't see...dropping his whole trailer full of lumber all over the road. Every couple of miles for about 30 miles there would be another 2.x4 or something similar.

It would not have been pretty if we had come across that guy. I was soooo ready to give him a piece of my mind.

I had a 4" sheet of ice come cartwheeling off a furniture van in front of me on I670 one time...swerved and ducked and just held on...barely, and I mean BARELY caught the edge of my rear pannier rack as it came down (enough to scrape the dirt and some paint off it), but not enough to wipe me out.

Scared the shit out of me.

I was behind a pickup today with no tailgate and the fenders rusted out. The top sides of the "bed" were whipping back and forth and had turnbuckles bodged on holding them to the bumper. Tetanus shot recent? Registration safety checks not so bad?

Once saw a pickup that had(previously) mixed cement filled in the bed in a tarp. They stopped at a stop sign and the mix sloshed forward then back and blew out the tailgate and onto the street.

Drove by the after affects of a gallon jug of oil falling off a truck and covering the road.

North end of 555 headed South on solo run. Small hardware store on the right side. Stack of 4x8 plywood sheets near road. A bit windy and stormy. Something didn't feel right and I pulled over quickly. Small tornado wannabe tore across the road in front of me rocking my bike. Half the stack of plywood sheets whipped across the road ahead of me where I would have been if I had continued.

I think I subconsciously saw the disturbance in the air approaching. Mostly intuition. That hind brain thing.

In my early days I had a one inch round rock come off a flat bed truck headed the same direction and hit me square between the eyes on my sunglasses (no shield). Moved my head to take the hit right there. No time for anything else. Damn near knocked me out.

• Upvote 1

my mom ran over a floor jack that rolled out of some guy's pickup truck without the tailgate.  it put a hole in her oil pan.  of course he didn't stop.

also you homeowners,  I was told by a cop he could write tickets for blowing grass in the street.  he was a rider and said he often stops to tell the person that and they need to clean it back out of the street.

Edited by serpentracer

Once while working construction during the 70's a cohort of mine lost a 50 Lb. box of 16p sinkers out the tailgateless back of his pickup. On my motorcycle I had to pass a stakebed truck with a full load of unsecured cement blocks just bouncing around at the ready to jump overboard. Earlier this summer, I slightly bent my ninja's front rim at 75 mph or so by running over an unidentified piece of steel that popped out from under the car in front of me during rush hour on I480. I agree, road debris sucks.