What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

On 7/31/2023 at 9:36 AM, JustinNck1 said:

Home safe from my gap trip. 1400 miles for the weekend. I did witness a fatal crash on Saturday and it was definitely an eye opening experience. Stupid decision by the motorcyclist trying to pass in a blind corner and hit a car head on.

Wow, that is fucking terrible.  Imagine if that was a group of motorcycles coming the other way.

I've had both cars and motorcycles come into my lane on the dragon.  That road is super fun, but I won't ride it on weekends, and preferably 1st thing in the morning. 

As much as I like the roads by Deals Gap, I actually prefer riding in WV.  The roads are 95% as good, with 99% less shenanigans...not to mention less cops, less traffic, and fewer towns to ride through...and it's sooo much closer.  I ride more miles of curvy roads on a WV trip then I do on a Gap Trip.

• Upvote 4

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Wow, that is fucking terrible.  Imagine if that was a group of motorcycles coming the other way.

I've had both cars and motorcycles come into my lane on the dragon.  That road is super fun, but I won't ride it on weekends, and preferably 1st thing in the morning. 

As much as I like the roads by Deals Gap, I actually prefer riding in WV.  The roads are 95% as good, with 99% less shenanigans...not to mention less cops, less traffic, and fewer towns to ride through...and it's sooo much closer.  I ride more miles of curvy roads on a WV trip then I do on a Gap Trip.

I really like the eastern sections of WV around Seneca rocks. We did ride through Hawks Nest over by Fayetteville and it was rough as shit though.

2 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

I really like the eastern sections of WV around Seneca rocks. We did ride through Hawks Nest over by Fayetteville and it was rough as shit though.

Lots of excellent roads in the Western part too.  Buckhannon is a good base.  From there, there are fun routes in all directions...just bypass Beckley on 16 on your way to the BOTD.

On 8/2/2023 at 10:27 PM, Tpoppa said:

Lots of excellent roads in the Western part too.  Buckhannon is a good base.  From there, there are fun routes in all directions...just bypass Beckley on 16 on your way to the BOTD.

We rode 16 from Ripley to BOTD and it was blah until you get below Beckley. Made for a long day but no highway.

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

We rode 16 from Ripley to BOTD and it was blah until you get below Beckley. Made for a long day but no highway.

16 doesn't really go near Ripley?

The stretch of 16 from the Ohio River all the way to Beckly is pretty damn good.  I take the highway bypass around Beckley save 20 minutes of traffic lights.

15, 20, 39, etc are all great roads in that area...from there you can cross into VA on 250 which is as tight and technical as you'll find anywhere.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the fork seals on the GS500 project.  It looked like the PO overfilled them with transmission fluid without cleaning them well.  Nice clean red stuff on top and some nasty brown sludge in the bottoms.

Now it should stop dripping in my garage and I can get around to cleaning the floor.

Iron Pony has a 2014-honda-ctx1300,  $7,999.00  and you can still see a motor.

I would get the FJR if someone would ride on the back with me. 

image.png.0f13be13383f0d3ef74d3909876b2ce0.png

Edited by B-Mac
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

I would get the FJR if someone would ride on the back with me. 

I will.

Look, the FJR is a great long distance bike that eats curvy roads for lunch. Just watch which gen you get so younger the abs and fancy suspension. If I was solo I would probably be on one....if they still made them.

What do you want this next bike to do?

Edited by Tonik

Thanks, That is very nice of you. I am good right now with Two V-Stroms 1K's but come November when I get my Prostate removed I will be trying to get my wife to sell her Spyder and all the bikes and get a Gold Wing Trike so she can drive my ass all over the country. I will strap in and do rear seat duty drinking wine with crackers and cheese with the stereo blasting my new fav. rock band Volbeat: "Sorry Sack Of Bones" and "Die to Live" I can get a extra long catheter tube and run it down my pant leg and just hose on the go. Destination Spearfish Canyon, SD.

Problem, She wants a Vanderhall Carmel GTS Ivory White.☹️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tonik said:

I will.

Look, the FJR is a great long distance bike that eats curvy roads for lunch. Just watch which gen you get so younger the abs and fancy suspension. If I was solo I would probably be on one....if they still made them.

What do you want this next bike to do?

I want to be able to do long distance trips without my ass being sore as hell after three hours. I love the Vstrom’s v twin grunt and engine braking, but I also wouldn’t mind heated grips, cruise control, comfy seat, etc. getting rid of the damn buffeting would be a + also. 

The one I’m looking at is a 16 ES model with lots of extras. 

• Upvote 2

Implemented some side-of-the-road repairs near Ripley, WV back on Aug 6th, then topped off the fuel tank and finished riding home in one-shot that evening. Once the replacement part arrived, I finally had time to install it this past weekend.  The new lever took a surprising amount of persuading to mount on the knurled pivot pin. 

LeverRepair1.thumb.jpg.718f0c765b0c73de0c3ac427052e6d8a.jpg

LeverRepair2.thumb.jpg.74d150a1a28fea221213c9b6d8075205.jpg

LeverRepair3.thumb.jpg.0930b55a85cd770da5397241c9c0652e.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Grokked said:

Implemented some side-of-the-road repairs near Ripley, WV back on Aug 6th, then topped off the fuel tank and finished riding home in one-shot that evening. Once the replacement part arrived, I finally had time to install it this past weekend.  The new lever took a surprising amount of persuading to mount on the knurled pivot pin. 

LeverRepair1.thumb.jpg.718f0c765b0c73de0c3ac427052e6d8a.jpg

LeverRepair2.thumb.jpg.74d150a1a28fea221213c9b6d8075205.jpg

LeverRepair3.thumb.jpg.0930b55a85cd770da5397241c9c0652e.jpg

Nice roadside repair.

I took a trip down 377 recently Ben and I think I have a pretty good idea of what caused your accident. There’s a dip in that corner that caused a harsh peg drag on the Goldwing. I never noticed it on any of the other bikes I’ve ripped through there. I’m guessing the guzzi ran out of clearance pretty fast. Going through the corner at speed I never saw a dip but the suspension on the Goldwing told me all about it. 
Glad you’re still on two wheels. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/22/2023 at 12:19 PM, durk said:

Nice roadside repair.

I took a trip down 377 recently Ben and I think I have a pretty good idea of what caused your accident. There’s a dip in that corner that caused a harsh peg drag on the Goldwing. I never noticed it on any of the other bikes I’ve ripped through there. I’m guessing the guzzi ran out of clearance pretty fast. Going through the corner at speed I never saw a dip but the suspension on the Goldwing told me all about it. 
Glad you’re still on two wheels. 

Thanks Rick,

Fortunately all I needed in that roadside repair was effectiveness and not attractiveness. The steel rod, duct tape, and needle-nose vise grip combination was enough to get me home on the same day I planned to get home.  

Thanks for the note about the road surface from that awesome-until-it-wasn't day last year.  My thoughts from those moments were that I may have locked the front wheel while leaned over, but running out of clearance while tilted to the left is certainly within the realm of possibility as well.  Those are lowered foot pegs that the side stand comes right up underneath, probably reducing about an inch from "normal" ground clearance on the left side.  Further, the entire suspension was probably dialed a fair bit too soft for my mass as compared to the previous owner (I've since adjusted that to better match my weight as well).  However my mishap occurred, I certainly don't have any recollection of the moments between leaning over for the curve and hearing the side of my helmet scrape on the pavement. Anyway, I anticipate I'll be on that same stretch of 377 on September 2nd as I go out for a ride during this year's Moto Guzzi Ohio Rally in Zanesville.

Edited by Grokked
  • Upvote 1

I didn’t do anything to it except ride it , but Your daughter might have washed my bike was riding back roads in ny to mountains and I was running out of gas so I put in the GPS and it took me to Cortland New York, right out in front of a sorority house girls yelling woo hoo car wash

IMG_2595.jpeg

Edited by marlboro man
  • Beer 1