Fall Gap Trip 2016

Tonik

11 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Dang, my sides are 38L.  That would kill me.

3 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Meh it works. 

Not sure of the volume of my side cases but my helmet will fit in any of my bags. 

Found it, my sides are 35L

You guys are all making me jealous. Made it to deals gap in August packed up like this (tank bag). Helps that I can get a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread under my seat though. Hope to pick up something I can bag in the spring. 

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Meh it works. 

Solo, heck yea. When I am solo my trunk is often empty, which is awesome for removing layers or locking up the helmet.  Don't have to dick around as much.  My problem would be when the wife and go for a week or more somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Solo, heck yea. When I am solo my trunk is often empty, which is awesome for removing layers or locking up the helmet.  Don't have to dick around as much.  My problem would be when the wife and go for a week or more somewhere.

Yup I dont have that issue, my wifes rides her own turd. Even when we went to Niagara together in July my top box only had snacks and drinks in it.

55 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Not knocking their bikes, awesome machines. They do many things better than mine does, but hauling around tons of shit isn't one of them.

I've lived off of an FJR for three months carrying a full camping set up and enough hand tools to work as an industrial electrician.The only added storage was a large dry bag.The FJR works pretty well as a pack mule.

4 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Mine aren't real bulky just worried they will be too warm when the temps break onto th e 70s. Have been considering the A*  smx-1 air. Just concerned about the fit I know some say order A* a size bigger. Don't think I'll have time to run down to the pony any this week.

I liked my SMX-2's but they don't last. I got about 1 season out of my last pair. 

Rain gear is over rated. Last several years I've been wearing touring gear with build in rain protection. It's breathable so it does not get too hot with panels that unzip. I've stayed dryer with just that than I ever have with slip on rain gear  And on really hot trips I'll just wear mesh with dry fit shorts and shirts on underneath that drys quickly. I pack more thermal stuff now and leave the rain BS at home, even my thermal is just a jacket liner and my heated vest.

Edited by 2talltim

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Rain gear is over rated. Last several years I've been wearing touring gear with build in rain protection. It's breathable so it does not get too hot with panels that unzip. I've stayed dryer with just that than I ever have with slip on rain gear  And on really hot trips I'll just wear mesh with dry fit shorts and shirts on underneath that drys quickly. I pack more thermal stuff now and leave the rain BS at home, even my thermal is just a jacket liner and my heated vest.

I have found that my 7 yr old Tourmaster Transition is not very waterproof when you have no wind protection. I will be carrying a rain jacket, to keep me dry incase it rains, and as an extra thermal layer if it gets too cold. If it was summer I would probably skip it but a 45F rain is no fun if you are soaked.

9 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

I have found that my 7 yr old Tourmaster Transition is not very waterproof when you have no wind protection. I will be carrying a rain jacket, to keep me dry incase it rains, and as an extra thermal layer if it gets too cold. If it was summer I would probably skip it but a 45F rain is no fun if you are soaked.

I have a Tourmaster Saber 3 jacket and I rode in a pouring thunderstorm on the freeway and never slowed below 60mph for about a hour last year. And the only thing that was wet was around my collar because my neck isn't as fat as it use to be. But also my bike offers much more protection. I also have tourmaster overpants.

Edited by 2talltim

Well I ordered the A* gloves, I messaged Mike at RD and he was a few bucks cheaper but wasn't 100% I'd have them by Thursday so I ordered them on Amazon with prime and will have them by Wednesday. I ordered just the XL because of reviews and Anthony's video on Revzilla say they are more of an american cut than the previous A*'s. So with that I have everything I need to roll Friday right after work. Just need to pack my bathroom stuff. 

18 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Well I ordered the A* gloves, I messaged Mike at RD and he was a few bucks cheaper but wasn't 100% I'd have them by Thursday so I ordered them on Amazon with prime and will have them by Wednesday. I ordered just the XL because of reviews and Anthony's video on Revzilla say they are more of an american cut than the previous A*'s. So with that I have everything I need to roll Friday right after work. Just need to pack my bathroom stuff. 

You'll be fine with XL, that's what I wear with A* and I think we are of a similar build. I'll be interested in hearing how you like the SMX-1's, I just bought a new pair of gloves last week because my SMX-2's fell apart on my last ride (thumb wore through completely and stitching came undone on the same thumb). I ended up with some Scorpion leather short-cuff gloves. Hoping they work out, though I may have bought a size too small... depends how much they stretch. I was in-between sizes (XL and XXL).

The A*s are comfortable as hell but the build quality on the last pair scared me off a bit. Hope the SMX-1's are better in that regard. 

Edited by what

21 minutes ago, what said:

You'll be fine with XL, that's what I wear with A* and I think we are of a similar build. I'll be interested in hearing how you like the SMX-1's, I just bought a new pair of gloves last week because my SMX-2's fell apart on my last ride (thumb wore through completely and stitching came undone on the same thumb). I ended up with some Scorpion leather short-cuff gloves. Hoping they work out, though I may have bought a size too small... depends how much they stretch. I was in-between sizes (XL and XXL).

The A*s are comfortable as hell but the build quality on the last pair scared me off a bit. Hope the SMX-1's are better in that regard. 

Some of the reviews I read say the smx-1 are built better than the 2's on durability. That's what happens to my old JR gloves they are pulling apart at the seams in the fingers

Edited by 2talltim

• Tonik unpinned this topic