Fall Gap Trip 2016

Tonik

13 hours ago, Tonik said:

Np, you and cbbaron can stand off to the side during the cherahala espresso break.

Heh, I'm just jealous of your ability to pack without scrutinizing every choice. I dont want to be left out of the espresso break :D

We discussed this earlier, but wanted to remind everyone about this possibility of a route change Saturday.

If we get our asses to Beckley on time and get our asses rolling from there quickly and haul ass down 16 we can take our asses across 421 'The Snake' on the way to Johnson City.  If we don't, our asses will be slabbing it for 90 minutes or so at the end of the day.

No promises, we have a large group and limited daylight. But I am willing to try and pull it off.

38 minutes ago, Tonik said:

421 would add an hour BTW, but worth it.

I was bored and curious all at the same time so I mapped the entire day :lost:  with the proposed added sections. This makes me happy. :easy_button: https://goo.gl/maps/qXSzVLFe7xA2

:dj:

Edited by 2talltim

Here are two new Sygic files.

Sat morning Parkersburg to Beckley meet spot.  Before you start navigating with it drag point J just a little further south on Paint Creek Rd. so it forces you south from there and on to 77.

The other is from a gas station in Marion to the hotel Saturday via 421 if we go that way. That Shell as you turn left at the bottom of 16 in Marion is a good re-meet point if we split up on 16.

Marion 421 Johnson City.itf

Parkersburg to Beckley.itf

6 minutes ago, blue72beetle said:

I've never done 421, I vote for that.

We won't vote until we get to Marion and see where we are at.  But anyone can do whatever they want at that point of course.  I expect we will be fine and will be able to do it.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Here are two new Sygic files.

Sat morning Parkersburg to Beckley meet spot.  Before you start navigating with it drag point J just a little further south on Paint Creek Rd. so it forces you south from there and on to 77.

The other is from a gas station in Marion to the hotel Saturday via 421 if we go that way. That Shell as you turn left at the bottom of 16 in Marion is a good re-meet point if we split up on 16.

Marion 421 Johnson City.itf

Parkersburg to Beckley.itf

I really need to switch out my SD card in my phone. It only has a 16G in it and once I loaded the Ohio map for Sygic it was full. I bought a 64G card months ago and have never switched it out, still sitting on my dresser in the package. Then again I love getting lost with no data service it can de fun sometimes.

Just now, 2talltim said:

I really need to switch out my SD card in my phone. It only has a 16G in it and once I loaded the Ohio map for Sygic it was full. I bought a 64G card months ago and have never switched it out, still sitting on my dresser in the package. Then again I love getting lost with no data service it can de fun sometimes.

WTF you got on there?  I have no SD card...so my phone has 25 GB free for me to use.  With Sygic and maps for damn near half the country and 800 or so songs I still am only using about 12 GB of my storage.

Just now, Tonik said:

WTF you got on there?  I have no SD card...so my phone has 25 GB free for me to use.  With Sygic and maps for damn near half the country and 800 or so songs I still am only using about 12 GB of my storage.

Well this is the same SD card Ive had for probably 6 or 7 years(maybe longer) and when I got it I transferred all my pics and videos over from my previous cards. There is something like 3500 pictures and over 100 videos, maybe 500 or 600 songs. I just never delete anything..LOL I have kids that are into sports and school activities and I just use my phone for everything when It comes to pictures. I thought about just clearing it out and putting everything on my external HD which I probably will do but the wife needed a new card because her phone only has a 8G in it and I was going to give her the 16G, so I ordered the 64G

Just now, 2talltim said:

There is something like 3500 pictures and over 100 videos, maybe 500 or 600 songs. I just never delete anything..

Until you lose your phone or drop it in a toilet and lose it all.  Get the pics and vids off there and onto a DVD. Or use googles cloud storage that you get for free with your Google Account.

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Until you lose your phone or drop it in a toilet and lose it all.  Get the pics and vids off there and onto a DVD. Or use googles cloud storage that you get for free with your Google Account.

We have a 1TB SS external HD we put everything on and it gets locked up in the fire safe at home. I need to just transfer everything on it I'm just lazy...lol...maybe ill get-r-dun tonight.

Edited by 2talltim

44 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

We have a 1TB SS external HD we put everything on and it gets locked up in the fire safe at home. I need to just transfer everything on it I'm just lazy...lol...maybe ill get-r-dun tonight.

My gosh, keeping that much on a sd card is insane. Redundancy is key. Multiple hard drives, multiple locations.

39 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

My gosh, keeping that much on a sd card is insane. Redundancy is key. Multiple hard drives, multiple locations.

Yup. All photos/music stored on external USB3 drive. Backed up to a NAS in my safe. Looking to add Backblaze to my plan to have offsite as well. 

RAVPower Filehub, 5 in 1 SD Card USB Reader, Wireless Hard Drive Companion WiFi Bridge Sharing Media Streamer 3000mAh External Battery Pack, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQUMZRA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iWs.xbPVZ5SNY

For anyone packing small, this thing is amazing. Makes a wifi hotspot, you connect your phone to, plug in an SD card and external HD, and swap files back and forth. It will even link to the local wifi at the hotel and allow you pass thru to still access the Web as it works. With my 3 GoPros, DSLR, and 2 up on my FZ09, I didn't have room for the laptop. This was a storage wonder for the trip. 

I'm about to strangle the people at Samsung. They swore to me last week I would have my phone back by Friday, now their saying 4-5 business days. Finally talked to a manager, explained my situation, and their gonna overnight it to me so I have my phone for the trip.

• Tonik unpinned this topic