What wireless router do you use?

Buck531

I've gone through about 4-5 different wireless routers in the past few years. They all have different issues. One will just drop the internet (wireless) at various times. Another one would drop my throughput to like ISDN. Others just completely die.

So. What wireless router are you using. What would you recommend? I'd like to stay around the $50 range.

I use a $30 Belkin that has never given me ANY issues. I reset it in the morning before work about once every 3 months just to make sure things are running smoothly. I've used this router for about 2 years now

I'm using a D-Link, which I don't recommend.

I had a Linksys which crapped out after two years, and needed something around $50 and that night. The D-Link was the only thing Best Buy had in that range at that time, and it's decent but I wouldn't buy another one.

It randomly drops the wireless signal, which is weak to begin with. It has a single antenna which does not allow it's removal for a larger unit. Every couple of months I'll lose connectivity to the internet, which requires a power cycle of the unit. Finally, the interface isn't the best and their firmware "upgrades" are usually worse than the predecessor.

Microsoft 802.11G router.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-MN-700-Wireless-802-11g-Station/dp/B0000BZO58

Had it since it came out. Have had no problems. Only complaint is it takes longer then normal to use the admin tools over http. You can port forward tons of ports in ranges and tcp or udp.

$30 Netgear Wireless special @ Best Buy. Needs rebooted about every 3-4 months, but that's about it. Not exactly feature rich (I'd love to throttle some connections, and have better firewall control), but for $30 I can't complain.

From the work I do, I find Linksys to be the least reliable of consumer routers. They LOVE to either shit out or cut WAN bandwidth in 1/2 or worse.

what made you pick Tomato over DD-WRT? Also can you go back to the original firmware if something happens?

I use DD-WRT, and if you want to, you can go back to the original firmware. You just restore it the same way you installed the open source firmware.