do you cook your steak fast or slow

russian rocket

just like the title says, i want to know if you guys cook your steaks fast on high heat or slow on low heat? i cook mine slow for about 20min or more, wait til the blood breaks through and pools up nicely, then flip it and cook it for another minute or so on high heat to seal it in. then rest it for 10 minutes on a plate inside my microwave. on my grill i found this to turn on the most tender and juiciest steaks where the fat just melts in your mouth. btw i generally grill 1 1/2in thick rib-eye or t-bones/porterhouse to medium.

for added taste i like to throw on some onions that i caramelize in Italian dressing in a skillet.

also i would like to buy some usda prime ribeye, anyone have any suggestions as to where i can buy some?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do just how you said.. I get the grill (propane) nice and hot then set it on low. Cook the steaks for 20 minutes or so, flipping ever 5 min. Then turn the heat on high and get the out sides not crisp, but done. Thats for medium well, slight pink in the center.

I love the steaks from the andersons..

Heat grill to ~450° then put the steaks on the TOP RACK, 3-5minutes or until the tops just start to brown then flip for another 1-4 minutes. Remove from grill and let sit for at least 5-10 minutes.

Let steak get to room temp

High heat cook for 2-3 minutes

Rotate steak for the cross hatching and cook for another 2-3 minutes and then flip.

Cook for another 3 minutes, and remove. Let sit for approx 5 minutes

You should resist flipping as much as possible

http://Www.grillingcompanion.com has great results by following the directions listed

Let steak get to room temp

High heat cook for 2-3 minutes

Rotate steak for the cross hatching and cook for another 2-3 minutes and then flip.

Cook for another 3 minutes, and remove. Let sit for approx 5 minutes

You should resist flipping as much as possible

http://Www.grillingcompanion.com has great results by following the directions listed

^^ this. Another opinion, if you are cooking a good steak past medium, you're doing it wrong.

tried the fast method this weekend. Buehler's Prime Top sirloin, sea salt, 30 min in room temp, olive oil, peppercorn grind, high heat on the grill 5min flip then 5 min. about 6 min cool time. best steak I have ever had outside of $40 high end restaurants... even rivaled those. It was a little more medium rare than I usually like, but it was still quite warm, and soooo juicy. will use this from now on.

In the oven I will broil it 15 minutes max. Flip it only once. It will be nice and the blood will be almost boiling. You don't really need to marinate it this way unless you are stuck on stupid A1 sauce.

On the grill no more then 20 minutes on medium high heat. It is all about the firmness with me. You can just tell by touching it with your tongs. If it gets tough you overcooked it :( It takes a different amount of time for each cut of beef you are cooking. When you cut into it and the steak sauce (blood) collects into a small pool for later dipping it is done perfect. If you bust a blood vessel even better :)