College Football Thread v8.0

bicranium

What I have always found is extremely interesting from that game is the pure amount of talent on both sides, which went pro. Its insane 86% of the starters in that game were drafted...I wonder if that is the highest percentage to date.

"The amount of future NFL talent that played in the game is considered highly exceptional.[9] Of the 43 players who started in the game (OSU's Chris Gamble started on both offense and defense), 37 of them were eventually NFL draft picks (including 18 first-rounders). Of the 100 players who played in the game, 58 went on to play in the NFL."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the 2000 season to see just what the fuck happened there, Miami did get screwed. They lost in week 2 at #15 Washington (quality loss lol) but then went undefeated the rest of the way. As I mentioned they beat the #1 and #2 schools in the country, FSU and Va Tech. Florida State loses in week 6 to Miami, yet somehow leaps them at the end to make it to the NCG where they lose to Oklahoma.

The early 2000's Miami teams were unbelievable talent wise. I would put those 3 teams (2000-2002) up against any other team in the last 25 years.

Bon voyage!! I personally don't believe the guy to be a great offensive coach. I believe he only called 2 really great games, Wisconsin and Michigan State this year. The rest of the games a monkey could've called and OSU would've put up 50 points. Hell even this years Wisconsin game in my opinion is more about the defense than it is the offense, but I will give him his credit for making a 2nd and 3rd string qb look all world.

Word is the Sugar Bowl is his last game regardless if OSU wins or loses. Therefore if OSU wins against Bama, Urban will most likely be calling the offense.

While I agree that Herman has had some issues calling plays, you can't really argue with his ability with QB's. He is also the OSU QB coach. THAT, moreso than the PPG this season, is probably what won him the Broyles award and got him the job in U of H.

I'm 45 minutes north of Houston. I might have to go catch me a game next year.

Word is the Sugar Bowl is his last game regardless if OSU wins or loses. Therefore if OSU wins against Bama, Urban will most likely be calling the offense.

That's what I keep hearing too, but that would be a dumb move unless it's being forced by his new boss. The chance to play in the FBS College Football Playoff, and possibly National Championship Game, isn't something that you'll just stumble into on a regular basis. Though if he's that quick to jump ship on his own? Well then good luck to him and NEXT MAN UP. Hopefully they don't call the same Miller/Barrett/Jones run twice in a row in a championship game environment. Had this job popped up after last years B1G title game we'd all be saying good riddance.

Yeah I give him credit for his work this year with the qb's. I personally think losing Warriner would be more of a loss than losing Herman. OSU will hang 50+ once again next year and every year until the rest of the B10 catches up talent wise, regardless of who the OC is.

I agree its a dumb move, I don't see what 7 days is going to do for him, has to be part of the job requirement though. If anything it's a shitty move on his part towards the OSU team. Kind of leaves them high and dry heading into the biggest game of the year, should they make it there. I think Urban/Warriner would do a good job in that game though honestly.

His wife has denied that their mind is made up with regards to coaching a potential national title game. I tend to believe he would stick around but it is actually difference of 11 days, not just 7.

Will be interesting to watch Herman's career moving forward. He's clearly a smart guy (MENSA) and he had some games I was critical of as an OC but as others have mentioned, you cannot deny what he was able to do with regards to the QB's this year. Heisman candidate goes down? Fuck it, here's another one (which he personally had a huge hand in recruiting from Texas). That one goes down? Whatever... throw this guy who once said he ain't come to play school out there and I'll have him run my offense just as well in the conference championship game. No biggie.

People weren't too excited when Urban pulled him out of Ames, Iowa to come to OSU and now he's off to do his own thing. He's got some Texas flavor obviously but he's an Ohio guy. Watched his Broyles Award speech and he talked about being born in Cincy and how coaching at OSU was something of a dream job. He's 39. Say Urban coaches another 8-10 years here... would be cool if Herman continued to climb the coaching ladder and eventually ended up back at OSU as head coach.

Let's say Urban wins 2 NC in the next 5 years and then retires. How mad are you on a scale of 1 to 10?

I think I'm at like a 1.5 on the scale. The only reason why I'd be mad is because I'd want him to stay and win more NC's.

0. I'd say job well done coach...Until he takes another job because he can't leave football. I don't think he would do very well in retirement.

Just saw an interesting stat tonight, over the last 20 years OSU has the best record in college football. We have discussed teams that are good on a consistent basis, but I never thought OSU would be #1 over the last 20 years.

Their record is 205-49, Bama is 13th with a record of 176-77

Let's say Urban wins 2 NC in the next 5 years and then retires. How mad are you on a scale of 1 to 10?

I think I'm at like a 1.5 on the scale. The only reason why I'd be mad is because I'd want him to stay and win more NC's.

If he can win 2 NCs in the next 5 years and he retires... I would on on 0... it's 2 NC!!!!

Serious question- why would Urban leave? He seems really happy at OSU, he seems to have controlled his stress/health issues.

If he gives us 2 NC's and leaves the next day, I'm still at a 0. Honestly, with all this SEC shit the last 8 years, I'd be happy if he gave us 1.