your vs you're

John

hmmmm... how 'bout there, their, and they're.... ;)

Nope, it's definitely this one. I know from first hand experience of trying to teach fifth grade students with learning disabilities in language arts. They could not grasp the differences on these three for anything. The you're/your were some how easier for them.

Are you guys serious!

Ok... so if you want to use you're....all you have to do is say the sentence and put "you are" in it. If it doesn't work...then it is the your.

You're going with us.

This is your book. (You can't say...This is you are book.)

With their, there, and they're..

they're...say the sentence...if you can put "they are" in it...then use it

They're going to the store.

their...this is talking about something that someone owns.

This is their book. (They own the book.)

there....this is any old there...

Go over there.

I teach this to second graders...they have no problem :)

I get into arguments with a couple friends of mine over this kind of shit all the time. Your/you're, lose/loose, affect/effect...whether irregardless is a word. And working in IT, where communication with people is sometimes confined to the 'written' version of our language, it's amazing how many people are unable to correctly utilize the English language. It's not typos, it's improper word selection. And it's best when it comes from a VP or some director. I am the first one to admit that I lack proper typing skills. You will find typos in a lot of my posts. But for Christ's sake, if you're going to use a word, know how to first.

What? Yes they are.... What is your idea then on what they are talking about?

My bad then , I thought they were talking about spelling the words , not where to be used, like did he say your or you are ? And how do I write effect with an a or an e ?

Or is you are written as your you're ?

Because they all are pronounced almost identical so I was thinking more as spelling than using ........

I'm sorry but you, your you're is one of the EASIEST concepts to understand. seriously, if the sentence isn't "YOU ARE" then it's Your.....

I agree with glock, affect/effect is the most difficult, I can't count how many times I've started writing an email and went to say effect/affect and finally went.... erm, how about "impact" instead

"USAGE Affect and effect are both verbs and nouns, but only effect is common as a noun, usually meaning 'a result, consequence, impression, etc.': : my father’s warnings had no effect on my adventurousness. The noun affect is restricted almost entirely to psychology (see affect 2 ). As verbs, they are used differently. Affect most commonly means 'produce an effect on, influence': : smoking during pregnancy can affect the baby's development. Affect also means 'pretend to have or feel (something)' (see affect 3 ): : she affected a concern for those who had lost their jobs. Effect means 'bring about': : the negotiators effected an agreement despite many difficulties."

-Mac Dictionary