What do you guys use for Carry/Conceal?

Moto-Brian

You can carry just about anything if you go IWB. I've concealed full-size autos for years on a bike and I'm skinny. If you have a more loose leather jacket, you can get away with anything. It's just kinda crummy that you need it (jacket) to be tight around the waist, right where your pistol wants to be.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting my CCW thingy and wanted to get opinions on what is a good choice firearm for carry/conceal...

I have an XD.45 for the car and wanted something on person. The thing is that I REALLY like the XD 3" 9mm, but it is a tad bulky to conceal.

Any opinions? I hate purse feeling pistols...

You're going to have a hard time finding a concealable hand gun that doesn't feel like a purse pistol. This is really a loaded question just like which bike should I buy. I have carried a SigP232 and a KahrPM9. The 232 is a 380 is heavier and holds 8 rounds. The PM9 is small, light 9mm and holds 7 rounds. I never carry the Sig since purchasing the Kahr plus 380 is hard to find. I find that I shoot the G26/G27 better than the Kahr but not by much especially not for the size difference. That guide rod lasermax is the shit though. I have them in my G34 and M9 without a sighting issue. S & W airweights are an excellent option as mentioned but I have a slight reservation about the 5 round capacity. It's better than nothing, if you'll carry it because it fit's your lifestyle and clothing.

I am a fairly avid shooter and carry for a living.

I'd avoid the Taurus family of semi autos if you plan on shooting it a lot (more than just shooting to maintain proficiency); they have a reputation as decent and economical guns but they will fail under heavy use. I had a PT101 that spit the mag out almost every round; and a PT92 that the locking block failed on after 5,000 rounds. Their customer service is very good, and the guns have a lifetime warranty, but none of that matters if the gun fails when it absolutely has to work.

Kel Tec, I've owned several P32, several P3AT, and one PF-9. The mini guns were very good pocket guns albeit a bit weak (.32 and .380). Much like the Taurus, they are built for carrying and not shooting. Kel Tec even specifies about a 6,000 round frame life span. I never even shot the PF-9, I disliked it's ergos, so I sold it immediately. I cannot comment on it.

Ruger LCP, I've owned one; see Kel Tec comments above as it is essentially the same gun, although a bit better finished; I found it to actually be a little less reliable. Never had a failure with the Kel Tecs but I had several with the Ruger.

My choices would be Glock, Sig, S/W, and similar reputable companies.

I currently carry a Glock 19 (mid size 9mm) and back it up with either a second Glock 19 or a Smith 642 (5 shot .38 revolver) and a spare mag. In rare circumstances I only carry the Smith, but it's 5 rounds limit it as a serious "agressive defense" handgun.

I really dislike the Glock from an aesthetic standpoint. It is hideous, and really doesn't feel too great in my hands. But, it is a ultra reliable firearm that I absolutely know will get the job done. It is quite accurate. Interchangeable mags (from the larger capactiy Glock 17) and a huge aftermarket mean it is a versatile gun. If you think to XD is too big, though, most likely the Glock will also be too big.

The Smith is a beautiful gun, IMO. Despite it's 5 round limit it can be an effective "last ditch" weapon. It is also surprisingly concealable in a pocket holster, or on the ankle. It's amazing, it really disappears in most pockets, which you wouldn't think due to it's size.

i thought about this as a new carry piece also. heard lots of good thing about it.

709 "SLIM" 9MM IN BLUE STEEL

709B.jpg

I got one in SS. Excellent size for IWB carry. It shoots nice too. It's a new model so there isn't much molded leather available for it yet.

You can carry just about anything if you go IWB. I've concealed full-size autos for years on a bike and I'm skinny. If you have a more loose leather jacket, you can get away with anything. It's just kinda crummy that you need it (jacket) to be tight around the waist, right where your pistol wants to be.

I've found I really like my cheapo shoulder holster when on the bike, but it presents the problem of ease of access...

IWB 3 o'clock is the second most comfortable but far less than shoulder...

I carry a xd 9 sc also in a paddle holster for fall winter carry and iwb in summer. It is not that hard to conceal. Tpoppa good luck with finding a leather holster for a taurus. I had my pt-145 for over a year and never found a decent leather holster for mine(i am also left handed?) That is the reason I didnt get the 709 lack of after market suff for most taurus semi auto guns is bad. Loved the pt 145 also, just had a hard time finding a left hand holster that concealed it well.

Wheel Guns are sterile ....if yah know what I mean.

Just zip loc the auto, cinch it up around your wrist with a zip tie.

And scatter some other dudes empty brass you picked up at the shooting range.

Related note, a lot of 9mm will shoot .380 (although not cycle).

I haven't given this any thought. :D

Glock Model 27 in .40

But I think you already knew that.

I do know that...

I am thinking the XD 9mm 3" for this. Now that I think about it and the reference to the paddle holster, it might feel better hidden.

Give me a call tomorrow or Monday (If wife isn't around - I can't talk pistols and this topic around her or she'll pop a gasket)...

im more than happy with my sub comp xd 9...guess its all just personal preference....i dunno if anyone mentioned it but if you dont mind taurus check out their slim line or carry line, they added a few new ones this year

the pops just picked up a new Taurus 709. we shot that and my kel tec pf-9. both are the same slim 9mm carry guns. his taurus was super accurate right out of the box, yet very awkward to hold. kel-tecs have a 200 round break-in period, but after about 40 rounds i can put a whole clip in the 9-point ring from 20 ft. just have to get used to that sub-compact kick.