Random Thoughts thread

SAMBUSA

The whole obedience by dominance totally works when that's the issue. I've seen both disobedience due to fear and due to aggressive protection of an owner corrected by putting a dog on its side and just keeping them there until they calm down and realize they have to listen because you're alpha.

ok so I'm on the right track. When he gets overly aggressive with his biting/nipping...I've been holding him down on his side or back so he can't bite at us and it starts to calm him down. It works for a few seconds and then he's back at it again so I'm not sure if he thinks I'm just playing

I've also found that hand gestures work wonders too. I had that problem with cora, she's bitey when she plays and that's fine, but when I'm not in the play mood, i don't want her nipping at me, so I try to be really consistent to say "Play" when its ok to play, and I hold my hands up (like enough, palms out sort of deal) and say "no more" when play time is over. She's taken to it really well and knows when to stop now.

It works for a few seconds and then he's back at it again so I'm not sure if he thinks I'm just playing

I'm not a dog trainer, but I would say that's probably because he's a puppy. I think if you're consistent, he'll get catch on quickly.

in my limited experience:

clicker training can be useful... maybe give it a shot. if you don't know what clicker training is, it's something like this: when he does something you want him to do, clicker with treat. start out by giving him a treat EVERY time you use the clicker. so, if you have him sit, *click* + treat. every time. Pavlov his puppy ass into thinking *click* = treat. after a few weeks of this, you can taper off to every other *click* is a treat and you can randomize from there. soon enough, the sight of the clicker itself will be enough for you to get his attention. well, that's assuming the dog likes treats/food... some dogs are VERY food driven, so ymmv. if the pup is not food driven, try something else he likes. maybe a toy, or something else.

hand gestures are definitely helpful (gatsby generally doesn't need to be told anything, just get his attention and a hand gesture is enough)

VERY careful use of the word "bad" or "bad dog"... you want to save that for occasions when you REALLY want him to stop whatever he's doing... otherwise, you dilute it and he'll just think it's just something you say to be a dick. combine it with a forceful, assertive (or even aggressive/menacing) tone and you should get the desired effect. maybe threaten him with a loaded gun... yeah, that'll do the trick.

that all said, i've never had to train a puppy. we adopted Gatsby when he was roughly 1~1.5 yrs old so he was already house broken, knew a few commands, had all his shots, neutered, blah blah blah. didn't have to hit him or put a loaded shotgun to his adorable puppy face or anything.

ok so I'm on the right track. When he gets overly aggressive with his biting/nipping...I've been holding him down on his side or back so he can't bite at us and it starts to calm him down. It works for a few seconds and then he's back at it again so I'm not sure if he thinks I'm just playing

Yeah my friend had problems with his dog as well. He bit his paw and show the dog who is the boss. Worked for him and I dont think its abuse. Just bite his paw and that will let the dog know you boss. This is up to you. I am no dog trainer.

Yeah my friend had problems with his dog as well. He bit his paw and show the dog who is the boss. Worked for him and I dont think its abuse. Just bite his paw and that will let the dog know you boss. This is up to you. I am no dog trainer.

I would NEVER bite a dogs paws... but that's probably because i know what my dog walks through. ;)

welp my Mom has been on puppy sitting duty today and he's been so much of a character for her she has gifted us some in-home training sessions with the same lady who they went to to get their pup trained to be a Therapy Dog

this is excellent news

I would NEVER bite a dogs paws... but that's probably because i know what my dog walks through. ;)

This. I have bitten a dogs scruff before though. Consistency is key. If you and the lady friend do different thing for different behaviors the dog isn't going to know what to think. Have it on a feeding schedule and make it sit before you give it it's food, it's a dominance thing. Reward it when it goes potty out side and if you can train it to only go in mulch or some place easy to clea. Up. Do not let it sleep with you no matter how cute it looks, this goes back to dominance you share a sleeping space it sees you as it's equal not the master. Any time you tell at it or it does some thing bad and you if a command try showing your teeth while growling. It all sounds alittle crazy but we have used this with all of our Dobermans and it works.

I pledge allegiance to our criminal government,

and to the lobbyists for which it serves.

One divided nation, under the media brainwashing machine,

owned by the corrupted elites & banksters,

with slavery and surveillance for all.

Thats awesome, rep to you sir...

Thanks, but I didn't come up with it. Stole it somewhere, can't remember.

He must be bored at the shop

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

^^^

This,

I will be over there in a little while and make all sorts of stupid requests for shit and occupy his time looking stuff up to stop this shit! :D

trying to decide what would be a better alternative,

having all three women in my house on their monthly

all the same week, or have them on separate weeks

and possibly have one week off each month.

Have them there in the same week and take a vacation

away that week each month.

Do not let it sleep with you no matter how cute it looks, this goes back to dominance you share a sleeping space it sees you as it's equal not the master

THAT'S where guys have been going wrong with their wives for years! :wtf:

Wait... Wut? :lol:

Also take away it's food and play with it while it is eating. This way if, god forbid, you have kids the dog won't have a food aggression and nip if I child is around and playing with it.

Wish I would have known to do this when our dog was young. She's not too bad, just growls a lot at the younger 2 kids.