A list of this you need to ride.

Jason31090

So mods can move this if it's in the wrong section. This seemed like the most sensible place to post.

I just wanted/needed a full list of what extra cost come with getting a bike so I know kinda $$$ I need this year.

So far I have:

1.Bike, paying X amount of dollars for it. then comes a tune up if it needs one. also for X amount of dollars. Body work and paint may apply.

1. Helmet. $300+?

2. Riding gloves. $100+?

1. Jacket. $500-700?

2. Boots/shoes. $100- already priced @ local shop.

0 mods. well...maybe yoshi pipe. ;)

Now I know some of you are thinking "Good job r-tard you know what comes with a bike." Just making sure I didn't miss anything.

1.Bike, paying X amount of dollars for it. then comes a tune up if it needs one. also for X amount of dollars. Body work and paint may apply.

1. Helmet. $300+?

2. Riding gloves. $100+?

1. Jacket. $500-700?

2. Boots/shoes. $100- already priced @ local shop.

0 mods. well...maybe yoshi pipe. ;)

Now I know some of you are thinking "Good job r-tard you know what comes with a bike." Just making sure I didn't miss anything.

Did you go to public school? Most of my lists are either up or down.... not 1,1,2,1,2 :wtf:. :lol: 'r-tard'

Thanks guys, in a perfect world we should be able to count like that. I'm sure you understood what the numbers meant.

I had already marked down insurance, sales tax on the bike, things like that.

I can add pants to the list too. I didn't know riding pants were required.

I think he meant he's buying 2 boots, 2 gloves, 1 helmet, 1 jacket??? lol

There we go.

Welcome to the fourm its nice to have another Suby guy around, I used to have an 05 STi. Insurance is a ball buster so take note and also I would never pay 100 bucks for a pair of gloves, you can find a nice pair for 50

I don't think my insurance could be any higher right now. Oh well, this will be well worth it.

I was just throwing out a price of what I thought gloves would cost. Thanks :)

Nothing is required, except insurance (by law).

The rest is really for us - we're selfish.

When we're riding with you, I don't want to come into a turn hot only to find out you've stained it with blood and caused me to wreck too.

Pants are just a good idea, but unless I'm on a trackday I usually am geared up with everything BUT pants - so I'm going to be a hypocrite and not practice what I preach.

Helmet, gloves, jacket and pants, after insurance and license.

DO NOT ride without license or insurance, and do not ride without gear.

You can get some of the gear for less, but the more you can afford the better. I have around $100 in a Snell 2005 approved helmet, about $150 in a textile jacket with shoulder and elbow protection, about $50 in a pair of summer gloves, about $100 in colder weather gloves, about $ 130 in textile pants.

Nothing is required, except insurance (by law).

Eye protection is required, and if you just have a learner's permit, or a license for less than a year, a helmet is required.

The rest is really for us - we're selfish.

When we're riding with you, I don't want to come into a turn hot only to find out you've stained it with blood and caused me to wreck too.

Nice way to put it!

Pants are just a good idea, but unless I'm on a trackday I usually am geared up with everything BUT pants - so I'm going to be a hypocrite and not practice what I preach.

I usually only put on the riding pants when I'm going for a long, or more spirited ride.

yeah, what Catman said. If it's a used bike, tires soon, and if not, tires by next year sometime. Ask around, about insurance rates now. You'll find some bikes are a lot cheaper to insure. And some are a lot more. Gear doesn't have to cost a fortune. But it has to do the job you have in mind. You don't need race track gear on the street unless you're confusing street with race track. (I'll catch Hell for saying that.) You do need a good helmet and gloves and boots. Followed by a jacket with armor in it. Textile or leather, whatever you think won't be too hot in the Summer. Some jackets flow a lot more air through them then you would think. Look around for some bargains, maybe last year's model of some gear. Every one of us has probably used each of those at least once to save our skin. I would even get the jacket before fancy boots. High top work boots or combat boots will work.

Minimum costs:

insurance: depends on your age, your record and which bike

tires: probably at least one rear tire - 120 to 200 (there will be more)

helmet: 120-200 for a starter helmet (there will be more)

gloves: 20 to 60 bucks - gel pads and double leather, but not armored (there will be more)

jacket: 100 to 180 for first jacket (there will be more)

boots: Whatever makes you happy: 20 to 200 (there will be more)

edit: I'm at the point where I want to add armored pants or under armor. (Kevlar minimum) More money to spend.

I have no idea how I rode for so many years with so little protection. But this stuff wasn't around back then. I appreciate that it is available now. And it does work to protect.

Edited by ReconRat
moar

Good to see a noob thinking ahead and planning to get some gear before he rides.

He can't count for shit, but at least he's thinking!

I applaud your effort, STI. Good one.

Part of the story is: If this is your first bike, or even your first bigger/faster bike, or even just a new bike you aren't familiar with yet... You'll want to take it easy the first year, until you experience and deal with some of the surprises that will certainly happen.

So gear varies with experience and survival rate, but we don't want to be squids and ride naked.

Eye protection is required, and if you just have a learner's permit, or a license for less than a year, a helmet is required.

yup. you could ride naked if you want, but you better have eye protection.

thats a lot of blood :eek:

DO NOT ride without license or insurance, and do not ride without gear.

You can get some of the gear for less, but the more you can afford the better. I have around $100 in a Snell 2005 approved helmet, about $150 in a textile jacket with shoulder and elbow protection, about $50 in a pair of summer gloves, about $100 in colder weather gloves, about $ 130 in textile pants.

Yeah, I'll for sure be riding with L's and I's. I don't want to spend a shit ton, just something of good quality that will keep me safe.

yeah, what Catman said. If it's a used bike, tires soon, and if not, tires by next year sometime. Ask around, about insurance rates now. You'll find some bikes are a lot cheaper to insure. And some are a lot more. Gear doesn't have to cost a fortune. But it has to do the job you have in mind. You don't need race track gear on the street unless you're confusing street with race track. (I'll catch Hell for saying that.) You do need a good helmet and gloves and boots. Followed by a jacket with armor in it Textile or leather, whatever you think won't be too hot in the Summer. Some jackets flow a lot more air through them then you would think. Look around for some bargains, maybe last year's model of some gear. Every one of us has probably used each of those at least once to save our skin. I would even get the jacket before fancy boots. High top work boots or combat boots will work.

Minimum costs:

insurance: depends on your age, your record and which bike

tires: probably at least one rear tire - 120 to 200 (there will be more)

helmet: 120-200 for a starter helmet (there will be more)

gloves: 20 to 60 bucks - gel pads and double leather, but not armored (there will be more)

jacket: 100 to 180 for first jacket (there will be more)

boots: Whatever makes you happy: 20 to 200 (there will be more)

edit: I'm at the point where I want to add armored pants or under armor. (Kevlar minimum) More money to spend.

I have no idea how I rode for so many years with so little protection. But this stuff wasn't around back then. I appreciate that it is available now. And it does work to protect.

^ All very helpful, thanks much.

Good to see a noob thinking ahead and planning to get some gear before he rides.

He can't count for shit, but at least he's thinking!

I applaud your effort, STI. Good one.

Yeah not trying to be road pizza in my first year of riding.

A sound mindset, meaning don't get yourself in over your head by riding too fast or crazy too soon

I'm a relatively new rider and was in the same boat last fall and you just got to take it easy and make sure you are very comfortable with your bike and the road and always anticipate nobody on the road knows how to drive or ever sees you