Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap -- June 7-10, 2012

Casper

I would rather not ride at all than have to slab it. Time constraints make a multiple day ride down and back not doable. Therefore I have the trailer for such occasions

I too have a trailer for the same reason, and so I can bring more than one bike, but I also have a thirsty Jeep that pulls it too...With threats of gas prices soaring above $5 a gallon this Spring/Summer, super slabbing might be my only affordable option for the longer trips this year.

I figured all of that, or most of it. Valid reasons, just messing with you. :)

no worries! I just really, really, really hate the slab for more than 1hr and the thought of it puts me on one of my usual rants :lol:

I too have a trailer for the same reason, and so I can bring more than one bike, but I also have a thirsty Jeep that pulls it too...With threats of gas prices soaring above $5 a gallon this Spring/Summer, super slabbing might be my only affordable option for the longer trips this year.

the only way they get to above $5 is if we go to war with Iran I bet. Even then I find it hard to believe, over $4 maybe. The futures suggest of no such increase without some sort of disaster

but yes, i wouldn't go nearly as much with the trailer if I had to pay for gas. Perks of having a small business...company gas card!

no worries! I just really, really, really hate the slab for more than 1hr and the thought of it puts me on one of my usual rants :lol:

the only way they get to above $5 is if we go to war with Iran I bet. Even then I find it hard to believe, over $4 maybe. The futures suggest of no such increase without some sort of disaster

but yes, i wouldn't go nearly as much with the trailer if I had to pay for gas. Perks of having a small business...company gas card!

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see $4-$5/gal this summer. Pissed, but not surprised.

I've got my impala..everyone shakes their head at me for pulling a trailer with a car but I still get 20mpg while pulling 2 bikes..even the burb at 10mpg split 4 or even 5 ways isn't bad

True. I was kinda kidding. I'm not sure Max would ride in a Ubaru

I call dibs on the trailer of whoever gets the best gas milage lol

I get awful gas mileage but free gas. But unless somebody overpays for my current trailer and I can buy a bigger one, I is full

Just ride down

the only way I would ride down is splitting it into 2 days and taking whatever route Pauly did last fall and was telling me about. I hate the freeway and I'm fat and out of shape so at best I can do 400/day. So for me that turns into a 6-7 day trip, which I do plan to do in the fall

the only way I would ride down is splitting it into 2 days and taking whatever route Pauly did last fall and was telling me about. I hate the freeway and I'm fat and out of shape so at best I can do 400/day. So for me that turns into a 6-7 day trip, which I do plan to do in the fall

Tuck in behind my FJR and ride my wake all the way down. That beast moves more air than a semi.

Im seriously thinking about taking an extra day or two and riding down. Been wanted to take a bike trip and see what its like. Good opportunity if some more experienced ones are riding down.

I don't blame you, its my goal this year to do that as well. More than likely will be the September trip I'm assuming will happen same as last year.

So I am watching videos of deals gap and it has me kinda concerned. I know everyone rides at their own pace but is the gap too much for a newer rider? I have only been riding for a year and have never been to a track day or anything. Most of the roads I ride on (probably 95%) are pretty strait so I don't have much experience on serious curves like at deals.

What should I do to get better at cornering? Should I get full leathers? I was planning on getting a pair of jeans with kevlar in them but should I be looking at something more? I already have all the other gear (Helmet, jacket, gloves and boots).

I do have a pair of leather pants that someone on here gave me for practically nothing but they are pretty big on me. I guess they would be better than the jeans but what do you guys think. I am newbing out right now lol.

Just relax and ride slow enough that you are comfortable. You dont need to set track records at the Gap. No one will be impressed anyway. Also, not all of the roads around there are as intense as the Dragon. It will be crowded anyway. I think I rode it once last year just to say I did. Go find vids of Cherhola Skyway and Rt. 28. Those are the good roads IMO.

So I am watching videos of deals gap and it has me kinda concerned. I know everyone rides at their own pace but is the gap too much for a newer rider? I have only been riding for a year and have never been to a track day or anything. Most of the roads I ride on (probably 95%) are pretty strait so I don't have much experience on serious curves like at deals.

What should I do to get better at cornering? Should I get full leathers? I was planning on getting a pair of jeans with kevlar in them but should I be looking at something more? I already have all the other gear (Helmet, jacket, gloves and boots).

I do have a pair of leather pants that someone on here gave me for practically nothing but they are pretty big on me. I guess they would be better than the jeans but what do you guys think. I am newbing out right now lol.

the dragon itself is a bit intimidating the first time. If you take your time and go at your own pace its not a bad road at all. First time I was on it I had my death tires so I took it super slow and still had fun.

My suggestion as far as becoming a better rider is read the books, watch the videos and hit up some group rides. I still consider myself pretty noob-ish and slow and everything I've learned is through those things, mostly the 3rd though. Also, don't get in over your head. Once you try to keep up and get out of your comfort zone is when shit starts to go wrong. I can't tell you how much better of a rider I became from June (i was super slow and awful) til the 2nd time down there when I was way more comfortable and just regular slow

Edited by Bad324