Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap -- June 7-10, 2012

Casper

Shit I need to start scrapping money together so I will have a bike by the time this rolls around

i might be down to go this would be my first time I'm gonna try and convince my dad to come so he can pay for the room hahaha ... how long of a drive is it ... how much are the cabins?

You have an 09 r1 and you need daddy to pay for the room :wtf:

Shit I need to start scrapping money together so I will have a bike by the time this rolls around

Wait, he has a bike and you don't and you are questioning his methods? :D

ha ha ha ha yeah cause i spent all my money on the bike but my dad and i ride together a lot and why would i want to pay when he would pay for the room I'm pretty sure any one would want their room paid for but if not i can pay for a room ... i was just saying it would be perfect to have my room paid for

Heated gear

Consider rubber industrial gloves...light weight...over your regular gloves. I have hands that freeze in a heartbeat and the rubber gloves have been the best solution. Totally cuts out the wind and work better than heated' date=' imho. Added bonus of rain proof, and cheap.

Come to think of it, maybe one of our veterans could post up a 'checklist' of pre-trip bike maintenance.

You gotta think in terms of the miles you are going to do. So everything that would come due during those miles. It is probably a 2,000 mile trip for everyone. So for chains I would bring lube...will your oil change interval get you through that many miles. And REALLY look at the tires, I went down once with a dude that had to buy tires the first day he got there. Another that had to get brakes while down there.

The list is easy, go through EVERYTHING, while there are a boatload of shops down there that will help you out and get you going again the hard part is getting your bike there from the middle of nowhere. Hit every nut and bolt on your bike, make sure they are tight. Do not do anything major to your bike the week before you leave. Get it all done a few weeks before hand so you can ride it a bit and make sure you didn't mess it up.

You are right about the rain coming and going and I swear the asphalt down there is more slippery than ours when wet. There is no question the painted lines are. We mix sand in ours, they do not.

Edit: I am assuming by 'veteran' you meant old fart. Although I do go down there 3-4 times a year.

I am probably riding down. That means rain. That means cold. Heated gear means I don't have to dress like Ralphy to stay warm. Unlike you and Matt' date=' I don't bring enough luggage to support me for 12 days[/quote']

it was my first time, I had to be prepared for everything. When we went in Sept I packed considerably lighter :D

Not sure if this will be doable for me, 3 months in a row, I am already heading down in April (full week) and May (3 days).

I will need too see if the funds & time off of work will be available in June.

Have you guys seen the latest news on North Carolina banning trucks...Read here:http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Edited by LINK

Not sure if this will be doable for me, 3 months in a row, I am already heading down in April (full week) and May (3 days).

I will need too see if the funds & time off of work will be available in June.

Have you guys seen the latest news on North Carolina banning trucks...Read here:http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Oh awesome. I went ahead and made it it's own thread: http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=87607

If your riding down and camping, any chance I can meet up and go down with you? If so count me in 100%

You can certainly meet up with me and ride down. Not a problem. If I camp, you're more than welcome to join as well. I was actually thinking about maybe taking a long way down and camping somewhere halfway.

You can certainly meet up with me and ride down. Not a problem. If I camp, you're more than welcome to join as well. I was actually thinking about maybe taking a long way down and camping somewhere halfway.

Cool. Thanks. Just let me know. School is out, so I shouldn't have any problems with scheduling.

Man would I love to do this ride. It has been 5 years since I have been to the dragon or the area. Would be nice to get a road trip in this year. But I don't see it happening. The triple is getting long in the tooth, and needs some work to do a trip like this. Wish it would sell so I could get a newer bike to do a trip soon.

I was actually thinking about maybe taking a long way down and camping somewhere halfway.

Head down to Charleston WV.

Suggestion 1...take 119 all the way across then through the Cumberland Gap tunnel. Pretty good road, not a tear it up twisty road but a very cool ride through the valley.

Sugesstion 2...Grab 3 in Charleston south, wind your way down and over to 16 north of Marion VA and take 16 into Marion. 16 makes the dragon look like a sissy road. Then hit 81 over to Bristol and grab 421/The Snake south of Bristol. Then grab the BRP and go the backway into Fontana.

If you are going to two day it I seriously suggest number 2. Will be two long days but you are young and if I can do that run so can you. I make it to Bristol in one day on that route from Cleveland.

Head down to Charleston WV.

Suggestion 1...take 119 all the way across then through the Cumberland Gap tunnel. Pretty good road, not a tear it up twisty road but a very cool ride through the valley.

Sugesstion 2...Grab 3 in Charleston south, wind your way down and over to 16 north of Marion VA and take 16 into Marion. 16 makes the dragon look like a sissy road. Then hit 81 over to Bristol and grab 421/The Snake south of Bristol. Then grab the BRP and go the backway into Fontana.

If you are going to two day it I seriously suggest number 2. Will be two long days but you are young and if I can do that run so can you. I make it to Bristol in one day on that route from Cleveland.

Suggestion 2 looks really close to what I was looking at.

How long does it take in a vehicle?

towing a trailer in my truck takes me about 9.5 hours from Cleveland to Fontana so I'd guess 7ish from Cbus.

I could easily shave off a ton of time if I only needed to stop twice for gas instead of random food, piss and "I cant find my ipod" breaks :D