$20,000 for an automobile, what would you buy?

e-flores

So here's the deal, I'm in the market for a new car. I've been rockin' a 93 tercel for the last 3 years saving up for a new ride and I'm at the point now where I can buy. I'm all over the place with options and need some help. I'm looking at a new jeep wrangler tonight and been interested in used 3 series as of late but still can't nail down exactly what I want. I just want to opinions because like I said I'm all over the place. So what I want to know is what would you buy in this price range and why. $20000 is a vague number willing to go higher but that's a number I'm kinda set on for now unless I can pick up a great deal.

Thanks for the input,

E

Very vague...and two totally different vehicles you're looking at, but I'll say this:

I have a 2012 Wrangler, and it's been awesome! It's the Unlimited model, and it doesn't ride horrible. Granted, it's no Cadillac either...

Gas mileage? Well, you don't buy a Wrangler if you're concerned with mileage...

It was more than 20k, but if you get a 2 door without a lot of option, you can close to that number, especially if you can find a left over 2012 model.

As far as a used BMW, don't...unless it comes with a really nice warranty!

Edited by BadTrainDriver

need to answer a few questions first before you can be pointed in the right direction

New or Used?

Since its a daily driver, what type of driving do you do most?

Do you haul stuff ever?

Do you want something good on gas or it doesn't matter?

Sporty, luxury, economy or a mix of all?

I'll agree with not buying a used turbo car BTD. I had my eye on a 335i and couldn't get get past used turbo. And I've had my eye the fr-s but couldn't get over the tinyness of it. I don't think I could fit a whole load of groceries in the car. None the less my music gear I haul everywhere. I would love to have one though. And it would be a daily driver for sure. And I could care less about comfort and all the big spiffy features. I just want something I can drive around town and not get tired of driving.

need to answer a few questions first before you can be pointed in the right direction

New or Used?

Since its a daily driver, what type of driving do you do most?

Do you haul stuff ever?

Do you want something good on gas or it doesn't matter?

Sporty, luxury, economy or a mix of all?

Don't care, if it were you what would you buy?

I was a huge Veloster fan after watching the Rallycross and it appeared to be a pretty cool hatchback, but there are some issues that make it not so ready for primetime.

That's the major one...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/10/hyundai-veloster-under-safety-investigation-for-exploding-sunroof.html

But the infotainment cluster and the DCT have issues as well.

It may be a good car for the price, and I'm sure Hyundai dealers would fix the issues under warranty, but if it spends more time in the shop than in my garage, it's more of a hassle than it's worth.

i'd definitely buy certified pre owned in that price range.

here's my short list, depending on my needs/wants/concerns in life:

GTI

WRX

Golf TDI

BRZ/FRS

G35 coupe

328i

S2000

your mom

ducati somethingsomething

I was a huge Veloster fan after watching the Rallycross and it appeared to be a pretty cool hatchback, but there are some issues that make it not so ready for primetime.

That's the major one...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/10/hyundai-veloster-under-safety-investigation-for-exploding-sunroof.html

But the infotainment cluster and the DCT have issues as well.

It may be a good car for the price, and I'm sure Hyundai dealers would fix the issues under warranty, but if it spends more time in the shop than in my garage, it's more of a hassle than it's worth.

Wow. I would agree that would be a major issue. My experience with with Hyundai has been great. I bought my Sonota Limited 2.0 T 20 months ago. I have put 37k on it and to this point I have had no issues other than the GPS failing.

i'd definitely buy certified pre owned in that price range.

here's my short list, depending on my needs/wants/concerns in life:

GTI

WRX

Golf TDI

BRZ/FRS

G35 coupe

328i

S2000

your mom

ducati somethingsomething

My Mom is 70:eek:

I'm on my 2nd Subaru Outback. I would never buy new, because for me the depreciation is a waste of money I can spend on other things. Once you put miles on a new car, it's used anyway.

My way is to seek a vehicle with 10k miles or less per year of age. You can find them out there, just don't wait until you have to buy before you start looking.

I'm sold on Subaru with their AWD all the time. It gets me where I want to go in the nastiest of weather no matter how much snow is on the road and it's a blast to drive. It's build on a car chassis and rides well, not like a SUV on a truck frame.

A used $20,000 Subaru will last you through several winters and get you there in comfort. You will never be sorry you bought one.