$20,000 for an automobile, what would you buy?

e-flores

This will not work as I'm pretty sure e likes the ladies. That thing is a total gay mobile.

My vote? Used 4runner. Go anywhere in comfort and haul all your music gear without issues.

Edited by max power

Don't care, if it were you what would you buy?

for a daily: 335i or IS350

for an SUV: Tahoe or 4Runner

fun car: Supra, Firehawk, C5 Vette, muscle car of some sort

Unless I'm rolling in so much money I don't know what to do with it, there is a good chance I will never purchase a brand new vehicle. Nothing pisses me off more than depreciation

I'm on my 2nd Subaru Outback. I would never buy new, because for me the depreciation is a waste of money I can spend on other things. Once you put miles on a new car, it's used anyway.

My way is to seek a vehicle with 10k miles or less per year of age. You can find them out there, just don't wait until you have to buy before you start looking.

I'm sold on Subaru with their AWD all the time. It gets me where I want to go in the nastiest of weather no matter how much snow is on the road and it's a blast to drive. It's build on a car chassis and rides well, not like a SUV on a truck frame.

A used $20,000 Subaru will last you through several winters and get you there in comfort. You will never be sorry you bought one.

I agree with this, so long as it's not a turbo Subaru.

Seriously though, a $20k budget would by just about any car on the market if you go used and look back 5-7 years. What I'm probably going for in five years for my next car? V8 Pathfinder. Pretty rare, but fun. I'll probably settle for a 4.0l Pathfinder or Xterra though, if I can find a nice one. $20k would buy those all day long with spending money left over. Of course my commute is comical, so gas is not an issue for me.

You have to understand, asking the question "I have $20k, what car should I buy?" is like asking "I have a penis, what girl should I fuck?" You'll get a lot of opinions based on other people past experiences, but at the end of the day, get the best you can for what you need. If you don't want to share any additional information, go out and buy a brand new Chevy Cruse. Made in Lordstown, Ohio, you can get one under $20k with a warranty. You're supporting Americans and Ohioans. Would I buy one? No, but I probably wouldn't fuck your girlfriend either.

Unless I'm rolling in so much money I don't know what to do with it, there is a good chance I will never purchase a brand new vehicle. Nothing pisses me off more than depreciation

Your problems have been solved... by GM... back in 1992.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Typhoon

AWD for winter

Robust 4.3L w/ Turbo for making your naughty bits tingle

Unless you totally let it go BTS, the market has hit the price floor for these rarity/collector vehicles.

People may not like the Mazda 3 smile but it does grows on you, if you can get past the front bumper I would say look into the 3 hatch. I have a 2011 with 2.5L and a 6 speed manual and have nothing but good things to say about the car. Lots of room if you fold the seats down and can haul a motorcycle trailer without even really noticing. My only wish is that I would have gone with the speed3 for another few grand but the gas milage on those are horrible for a car this size and is what stopped me at the time.

Also, they did redesign the bumper a bit to get rid of the huge grin, still kinda smiles though lol.

Edited by JStump

Your problems have been solved... by GM... back in 1992.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Typhoon

AWD for winter

Robust 4.3L w/ Turbo for making your naughty bits tingle

Unless you totally let it go BTS, the market has hit the price floor for these rarity/collector vehicles.

Typhoon's are damn cool

The 335i was on my list, and the three series I was leaning towards most. And I hate depreciation more than anything else as well. My only reason for buying new is if you get a great deal on a vehicle that has low depreciation. Aka the wrangler.

You were interested in a Wrangler. I have a 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser I am going to have to sell due to a new company car. It has over 70k, but understand it is all highway and has had the synthetic oil changed as often as asked. Has been Team Trailed out with Toyota TT stuff (Bumper wings, mirrors, etc), has a clear mask on it since new and black wheels with fresh rubber on all FIVE. Has rock sliders and a leveling kit due to be put on soon. Auto, roof rack, tow package, passenger arm rest, FJammer stereo with 6 disc, off road package. Almost every option you could get... Needs only a windshield from a damn rock and probably will have that fixed before selling...

I think I am going to ask $24k or thereabouts...

I agree on the Typhoons and Cyclones. We have a step down from them that we really love.....Envoy Denali. All the bells and whistles, drives like a dream, 4x4, 5.3 litre, and still gets upper teens in mpg.

Edited by Ron505

OBD2 Honda Civic 5spd

Great mileage, cheap and easy to fix.

Runs forever, and sells at 300k for almost what you bought it for.

If you can't drive FWD in the snow/ice that we never have, look into CRVs and RAV4s with AWD.

Spend the rest of that on something fun. Like a two-wheeled vehicle or a bang bang toy.

Buy used and let someone else eat the depreciation.

Personally, I like trucks, and turbo cars (as stated earlier, get as much info on one as you can before buying w/ full service records, if possible), and Ducati somethingsomethings.

I'll take you for a ride in my Wrangler and it will end your search, it's that nice.

I'll be test driving one tonight so we will se how it goes.

And Brian is your FJ a 6spd manual? If so if I don't walk away in the near future with a new wrangler Ill hit you up about the FJ

I'd go used luxury.... Acura, Lexus, BMW.... I bought my MDX used and have never looked back. The comfort is unparalleled. I put 50-60k per year on my cars, so brand new is just a waste for me.

Half of me wants luxury and half of me just thinks of the $'s to fix luxury in about 7-10 years.... But I love what BMW and Mercedes put on the table. I have a problem with a lot of luxury guys like Acura and lexus just building apon base models they have with Honda and Toyota. I know it's not just throwing on new bodywork and a different emblem but to me if I can go buy almost the same thing at a Honda dealership and spend $10-$15K less why am I going to go to Acura.

Half of me wants luxury and half of me just thinks of the $'s to fix luxury in about 7-10 years.... But I love what BMW and Mercedes put on the table. I have a problem with a lot of luxury guys like Acura and lexus just building apon base models they have with Honda and Toyota. I know it's not just throwing on new bodywork and a different emblem but to me if I can go buy almost the same thing at a Honda dealership and spend $10-$15K less why am I going to go to Acura.

There is a difference between their cars in the luxury divisions of Nissan, Toyota and Honda....and it isn't just price. Friend just got a new TSX that no Accord can match in terms of luxury and fit and finish, and not much difference in price between the top of the line Accord either. I think that Lexus does the best at defining the vast difference between them and Toyota models, with Infinity being a close 2nd.

I love that FJ cruiser, they look sweet and are very reliable from what I hear. I need a vehicle that won't get under 24 MPG for as much driving as I do, and my Impreza gets as high as 31 MPG on the slab. Subaru's were just named the best all around cars money can buy, but as BTD said I would veer away from the turbo models.