Letting people test ride your bike

nautical1

I'm contemplating selling my gsxr come spring (since this time of year obviously isn't ideal) but my biggest concern is with people who may want to test ride it. It's pretty easy to turn away someone not genuinely interested, but for those that are do you require some sort of cash up front, proof of endorsement and insurance? Maybe type up some sort of agreement that if it's wrecked the person agrees to buy it? I'm curious as to what kind of stipulations you all use.

I give a person to person judgement call...

If the person seems knowledgeable enough when discussing the bike, then I may allow a test ride without cash in hand...

safe side request cash in hand before test ride, and/or hold their license until they bring the bike back...

ASKING price cash in hand or no test ride. End of story

This is the correct motorcycle test ride policy. But be fair to the buyers..let them know the policy before they come see the bike.

Or they can ride bitch.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

This is the correct motorcycle test ride policy. But be fair to the buyers..let them know the policy before they come see the bike.

Or they can ride bitch.

my favorite one has been the guy that just came out to see the VFR that claimed he was too short to own it. I told him my policy on the phone call before he came and goes "well then I'll just drive the porsche over and you can have the keys". I politely declined Mr Big Shots offer and said you can look but there will be no riding then

He brought the porsche anyway and it was a shitty Boxster so I LOL'd big time when he pulled in the driveway

• Upvote 1

Ok, this is my understanding and it would need to be verified. i believe private party has some duty to:

1) validate the test rider has a valid mcy endorsement

2) verify that the test rider has valid motorcycle insurance

3) not impaired

4) has proper gear required by the state (i.e. helmet)

Otherwise, private party is accountable for all mishaps = you pay the bills if the rider F's up (including himself).

Just as we have to check that contractors we hire have valid insurance, we have to check the test rider.

As such, I say no to test rides

• Upvote 1

I've never had an issue with it. I've test-ridden several that I've bought or looked at. No one has ever said "no". I've allowed test rides on all three that I've sold...FZ6, Nighthawk, and my 883. I would be a little more cautious with the big Victory though. Slow speed handling of a big bagger is very different at first.

I let them ride if I'm serious about selling and they are serious about buying. But each situation is different. If they drop it they could just walk away and say oops. Sorry.

Edited by turnone

Thinking about the flipside, have any of you guys actually handed over an envelope of $4-10k cash to a stranger for the privilege of a test ride?

No way in hell Im doing that shit! Way too easy for that to disappear and turn into some kind of he said she said.

I might give a couple hundred as collateral and sign a waiver assuming liabilty for a crash...

• Upvote 1

Thinking about the flipside, have any of you guys actually handed over an envelope of $4-10k cash to a stranger for the privilege of a test ride?

No way in hell Im doing that shit! Way too easy for that to disappear and turn into some kind of he said she said.

I might give a couple hundred as collateral and sign a waiver assuming liabilty for a crash...

I have when I bought my 636...though it was under $4k and I knew I'd likely be buying it as long as it shifted

My husband and I have owned over 50 bikes and sold almost all of them private party and yes, we have always gotten a wad of cash upfront for any test rides plus license with valid mc endorsement.  Back during our racing days, we purchased at least 4 bikes that I can remember with salvage titles on bikes with less than 100 miles on them. We actually bought a Yamaha R6 with like 10 miles on it as the person basically crashed it on his way home from the dealership.  Look on any salvage site and you will see this is very common, hence the reason to get all the money up front.

You can also give the person the option to have the bike inspected at a dealership instead of a test ride if the person doesn't want to hand over his cash but they would need to pay the inspection fee. Usually $100 to $200 depending on how thorough an inspection they want.

Mary

I never sold a bike that was "test rideable" so it's been easy for me ;)  Now, when I've bought bikes I'd typically leave my vehicle, drivers license, insurance info, and my girlfriend ( at the time ) for collateral

I have test ridden some bikes for friends to give them an honest opinion. In these instances, the bikes were significantly bigger than their current bike or they were new riders. I always showed up ATGATT on my motorcycle, which have always been larger than the test ride bikes. No one ever demanded cash in hand to test ride, but I also don't come off as a squid.

The last bike I sold was a VTX1800, and I was very hesitant to allow test rides due to the size and heft. I allowed the eventual buyer to ride it after he had the financing lined up.

I drove to Chicago to buy my first bike off a private owner. Showed him my endorsement and that I had the cash. he held license, I kept cash and rode down the street and back. Bought it on the spot. When I sold it the guy handed me his license and the cash while his friend stayed back with me and he took it for a ride. Sold it on the spot. Agree with those before that said each situation is different. Whatever gets the job done while satisfying everyone's security level. 

No test rides. I will run up and down my street on my bike for you. Buy it if you like, or go away.

^^^THIS^^^  Way too much liability here.  He wrecks it, are you liable if something just so happens malfunction during test ride?  Are you liable if he doesn't have an M endorsement? I'd just rather not find out.