How do you turn off your bike?

Scruit

How do you turn off your bike?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How do you turn off your bike?

• Ignition key
    • Engine stop switch
    • Put down kickstand

I look at it as an extra bit of security against stupid bike theft. For the less than knowledgeable, unplanned thief that tries to steal a bike as a crime of opportunity. The more redundancies the thief may have to figure out the less likely they'll continue to try to steal.

How effective that thought is, I don't know, but it makes sense in my head.

Coast up the driveway while shifting into neutral and hitting the kill switch. Return switch to run position. Stop bike and drop kickstand. Get off and find proper key in headlight. Open garage, back bike into space, place bike on center stand. Turn off key, lock steering, remove key. Remove gear, clean helmet, stow gloves inside, insert helmet into bag.

Bike will get moved in and out of garage, so I leave the side stand down for convenience.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

better chance of car stalling and coming to a quicker stop when rear ended rather than being hit, foot coming off the brake and being pushed through traffic.

It's not about what's better - he's just taking an anti-europe stance for the sake of it.

Most cars in Europe are stick shift, so their driving habits are not as common here.  At a traffic light I pull the handbrake on and put the car in Neutral.  Give my clutch foot a rest.

Uninstall the battery and unplug fuel lines while coasting to a stop holding in clutch in first gear straight into a wheel chock to secure the front end without having to risk damaging my frame by using the kickstand.

Every time I need to slow down or stop.  

• 5 months later...

Maybe the difference is between fuel injected and carbureted engines? Mine is fuel injected and I believe my manual says to use the key. Someone mentioned that the key shuts down the fuel injectors instead of just killing the spark. So I've been using the key, just in case it actually makes a difference.

Using the kill switch does makes sense as a way to ingrain the motion in case of emergency. (Stuck throttle?) Maybe that's why MSF teaches it. Similar to the reason for teaching the use of both brakes for routine stops. In an emergency, the habit of controlling the rear brake might help.

(I mainly use the rear brake for slow speed maneuvers. I might add it when coming to a stop when I think about it. Back to the point about creating habits in case of emergency when there is no time to think!)

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Tonik said:

Welcome aboard hiro!!

Thanks! ^_^ Oh, the thing about the fuel injectors, maybe that doesn't make sense. heh It isn't like the injectors would keep firing after the engine stops turning. It stops pretty quick.

Maybe if you're sitting in traffic and want to switch the engine off multiple times to keep the engine cool, the kill switch is better. If you're just shutting down completely, the key makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...