How do you turn off your bike?

Scruit

How do you turn off your bike?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How do you turn off your bike?

• Ignition key
    • Engine stop switch
    • Put down kickstand

Maybe it's because my first bikes never had kickstand switches and I always shift to neutral when coming to a stop. I never park my bike in gear...probably because my first bikes also didn't have clutch switches. When I start my bike it's in neutral and I turn the key, choke it and (if it has a clutch switch, pull the clutch) thumb the button. While it's warming up I remove my glasses, hang them from the clutch cable or secure them on the tank bag (depending on bike), pull the gloves from my helmet, set them on the seat, secure helmet, don glasses and gloves, adjust choke, mount and ride.

Dismount is reverse of assembly

(Climer manual joke)

Edit: on the superhonda 849 camalamadingdong I only kick start it because fuck you my bike starts first kick.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

I always put the bike in neutral before shutting off. Anytime I've killed it with the side stand was accidental.

Some mornings I kill mine by shifting into first with the fucker still down. 15 minutes from dead asleep to geared up and motor running will do that....

I heard somewhere that if you don't turn the key, hit the kill switch and deploy the side stand at exactly the same time you risk permanently damaging your bike and possible serious injury to your person.

That's only on a full moon in a month that ends in "r"

I use the key like most of everyone on here.  I never leave it in gear, always neutral when I park.  When I get gas, I use the center stand so I know I am packing it full of fuel, other than that, I usually use the side stand.  The only time I use the side stand to kill my bike is for its intended purpose, when I am trying to put it into gear to go and I forget to put it up.  Never used the kill switch, don't see a need for it unless the bike goes down and is still running.

Umm...you can't turn off the key with your left hand?!?!!   Not that it would matter which hand you use.

I park my bike in neutral so it's ready to start.

I leave mine in first so it's less likely to roll.  Not sure if it makes a difference, tho.

I use the key like most of everyone on here.  I never leave it in gear, always neutral when I park.  When I get gas, I use the center stand so I know I am packing it full of fuel, other than that, I usually use the side stand.  The only time I use the side stand to kill my bike is for its intended purpose, when I am trying to put it into gear to go and I forget to put it up.  Never used the kill switch, don't see a need for it unless the bike goes down and is still running.

I stay on the bike during fill-ups so it stays upright already.  I have accidentally killed the engine with the sidestand, never on purpose.

I'm pretty surprised I'm one of the few who uses side stand to kill bike.... It prevents me from forgetting my key (I turn lights off last and remove key and put in pocket, once off the bike) and there's no forgetting side stand up if you don't dismount right away... I put stand down soon as I park, remove key soon as lights are off... I always Park in first gear to prevent rolling as well... Usually I'll roll the bike a few inches until it grabs then put stand down, to prevent it rolling and collapsing stand

I also remain seated for fill ups... I know it's a safety hazard and shit, but common sense goes a long way

Umm...you can't turn off the key with your left hand?!?!!   Not that it would matter which hand you use.

I park my bike in neutral so it's ready to start.

obviously you can, but the bike has to be in neutral for that to happen.  It's not uncommon for me to turn the bike off while holding the clutch, and then hunt for neutral without a running engine between my knees.

I don't use the kill switch or kick-stand, but I understand why people do.  There's something to be said for kjnowing that your kickstand kill switch is in working order, and I have no problem with people keeping both hands on the bars until the bike is on the side-stand.  I just choose to turn the key with my right hand - like I would on a car.