RX-8 Broke Down, Whats My Next Car?

ShowHBK

Penfed has no age restriction, but it does have mileage restrictions.

If you are a "certified member", whatever that means, they will lend you 110% of the NADA value if the vehicle is under 100K miles.

If you are not a certified member or the vehicle has between 100k and 125K miles they will lend 80% of the value and the terms longer than 36months are not available. I think to unlock the longer 60 month loan you also need to have a minimum value of $15K.

If the vehicle has over 125K miles the loan is not eligible for any of their advertised rates and most likely they don't have a used car product that will work (they can do a mixed used car home equity loan, but so can BofA and it's substantially different terms).

they are a little sneaky about supplying this information, I had to look through several small print disclosures on their site to find restrictions like this:

Used Auto Loans: Maximum used car loan advance will be determined by PenFed using a NADA value. Financing is available up to NADA average retail value plus tags, title, taxes and extended warranties not to exceed 110%. Some restrictions apply. Call 800-247-5626 for details.

Financing for 61-72 month term is valid for model years 2020 - 2014. Rate depends on term. Other restrictions including vehicle and mileage limitations may apply.

https://www.penfed.org/auto

And Google had to pull this page up for me because I couldn't find it navigating their site and again you have to read the fine print disclosures:

https://www.penfed.org/learn/media-center/shopping-for-a-car-choose-penfed-first/

Maximum used card loan advance is NADA “Retail Value” or 80% of the purchase price where NADA “Retail Value” is not available. Further restrictions apply on vehicles with 100,000 miles or more; vehicle mileage may not exceed 125,000 miles. Up to 100% financing is available to qualified members.

So yeah, you want to buy a 1998 whatever with less than 125k miles? go ahead, but after that - don't think it's gonna happen.

I will say this about them: They were recommended to me by a friend who I watched go through the process. I went through the approval process a few years ago myself for a car I ended up not buying. I recommended them to DJ, and he hasn't told me they have done anything bad to him so....I still think they are a good lender esp for weirdo older cars the banks won't touch.

Edited by Geeto67

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um... not to break in on this discussion... because this is all REALLY good information... but I kinda feel like i need something built after 2012-ish... like, I know older cars work fine. But... this is going to be my daily, so I feel like it should be newer. What am i missing here?

um... not to break in on this discussion... because this is all REALLY good information... but I kinda feel like i need something built after 2012-ish... like, I know older cars work fine. But... this is going to be my daily, so I feel like it should be newer. What am i missing here?

that you can fix old chevy's with duct tape, bailing wire, and american ingenuity on the side of the road. Or by hitting them with a rock. either works.

Oh, also that some of your "requirements" are unrealistic for the type of car you want and the budget you have to work with.

2012 seems pretty arbitrary a number, why that one and not the usual used finance number of 5-10 years (2009) or newer?

In b4 mike goes on another rant as to how he "likes the GTI in theory" but hates the way it looks and the interior.

Literally everyone else is complimentary of VAG interiors, especially the GTI. The plaid is not the only option, if that's the bitch.

If I were a mostly satisfied RX-8 guy looking for a replacement steed, I'd probably go Miata as new as you can afford.

Edited by spankis

At this point maybe you should just fix the RX-8? Is it really just a bad cat and maybe some o2 sensors? Fix it and start to put money away that you would otherwise put towards a monthly payment on a car that doesn’t fit your desires until you have enough saved up to make some of these cars a reality.

Just tossing this out as an option. You can find solid ls1/ls2 t56 GTO’s out there for $10-14k all day.

There's a reason for that. Grand Prix. INB4PPBUTTHURT

In my opinion the best all-around car you'll find in your budget is a mk6 GTI. Go test drive one.

/end thread.

Talk to Aaron. He had fun with his old GTI

This. Not only did Aaron DD it but he raced the shit out of it. I was surprised how comfortable it was.

Just for shit and giggles:

A 15-17 turbo Buick Verano will run you $9-12k and you can get one with a manual.

250hp 0-60 in a little over 6 seconds 30mpg. Fun little car to scoot around.

No shit! I thought the turbos were auto-only. First up on Autotempest:

https://turbo.cars.com/vdp/765517490?partnerlf=bottom&aff=turbotrp29

I don’t know how well it would autocross...:lol:

No shit! I thought the turbos were auto-only. First up on Autotempest:

https://turbo.cars.com/vdp/765517490?partnerlf=bottom&aff=turbotrp29

I don’t know how well it would autocross...:lol:

Itll be more than enough for what most do. 1 or 2 events every couple years to have fun and say they autocross when talking to non car people.