whats your opinion?

Big Chief201

I think you should punch your boss in the face for giving you a $5K gift card instead of $5K. To the Diamond Cellar. For a dude. Seriously now.

Agree. What is the rest of this story? Why would your boss give you a $5,000 gift card to DC and not a bonus check of $5,000? Does the company you work for have direct dealings w/ Diamond Cellar? Some important info is missing here...

Spend the 5K at the Diamond store and head straight to the pawn shop.

Pawn shop will only give you a fraction of the value

I just sold a 2.5 gram 14kt gold bracelet a couple weeks ago. Pawn shop offered me $12 for it. The cash advance place offered me $30. Gold prices are right around $40/gram last I checked

IIRC...... I paid about $100 for it 10 years ago???

I believe I've heard markup at jewelers is like 3-500%..... Especially the mall ones

Edited by Fonzie

Or maybe youll luck out and find the guy selling the bike thats really looking for those new earrings!! haha

Maybe post a CL ad offering to trade the card towards purchase of a sportbike. That way you're segmenting the market right away & know those calling/replying to you already are interested in trading for the card you have

List some different bikes you're interested in trading for, if you want to narrow the field replying to you even further

This may be a way you don't/won't have to take a hit on the value of the card

Maybe post a CL ad offering to trade the card towards purchase of a sportbike. That way you're segmenting the market right away & know those calling/replying to you already are interested in trading for the card you have

List some different bikes you're interested in trading for, if you want to narrow the field replying to you even further

your thought processes went much furthers than mine on the subject! I place the blame on the jager bombs. haha But very good idea!

While that's a sound concept you'd restrict your likely buyers quite a bit. Given the market segmentation currently for MC it's 70 to 90% male and most are single insurer.

OP would be better off taking a loss than trying to find the perfect soon to be engaged with the right bike.

But seriously, you're spot on if you mention that you'll take cash or partial trade for a bike.

Lots of companies get deals from places like that. They may pay3.5k or 4K per gift card. the retail place will still turn a small profit on just that... but when they have hundreds of employees coming in to redeem their gift card, odds are that some will spend over the card amount and some will be return customers once you get them in the store the first time. So DC wins, the company wins cause they look like they gave you more than they did and you win because you get more than they actually gave you. My company does the same stuff.

But unfortunately they never contract with a bike shop. Its usually jewelers also..... must be a big mark up in that stuff....