Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap -- June 7-10, 2012

Casper

I posted this in another thread, but this is probably the most paid attention to thread for the gap trip for all you guys...

Since I'm here in TN I get the news reports somewhat often about I 75 S being down to one lane and closed at times due to a rock slide back in March. The back up on 75 is generally 5-10 miles long. Rt 25 is the main detour so find another way around. I've not heard when it will be open fully again...

Where exactly is the slide?

Thanks Tim. Ruined the trip down for everyone :D

Hey now that shit was broke hours before i got there, it wasnt my fat ass that broke it:lol:

It was kinda funny all they way up to Willamsburg that night we kept seeing signs about a detour, but they were not the offical road constution signs they were the portable litghed message ones. I thought it was like a wide load detour or somthing. So we stopped for gas in williamsburg, ky and talked to a local lady and she told us about how they closed the road at about 3pm due to a land slide and it they were taking people on a 4 hour detour. But she was nice enough to lead us on a local back road(that i would never take on a bike) and got us around in a bout 30 min.

Don't need a detour the road is open now 1 lane in each direction ...I don't know if I could find that shit on a map if I had to

With 5 mile long backups. If its still down to 1 lane I will be seeking an alternate route.

only thing I remember was 297 then we had to cut off of it onto a gravel road because 297 had a bridge out after several miles of the gravel road which was very muddy and hilly then we pop back out on 297 on the other side of the b ridge and took it back to the freeway ...the main detour of traffic was taking 25W, but it was way backed up that night

With 5 mile long backups. If its still down to 1 lane I will be seeking an alternate route.

Can i follow you bubby? when u guys leaving? We can drive up close to each other from time to time and i will have Cathy throw over sammiches!! :D

I have made the trip to the Smokies maybe 50 times in my life and i dont care what anyone says doing it at night is the best way to go. Plus no offence to the bubbys ive made the trip with before but id rather no take part in a caravan, you will never make good time. Someones late, or having a problem, or gotta poop, or smoke, you stop for gas because you need it but somone else says they dont then 30 miles later they need to stop. In othere words say for example you wanna leave at 8 and get there at 3 that turns into 10 & 5 then noon &7.

My crew has agreed to traveling at night, less traffic, less cops, more travel cushion. If they are willing to sleep im willing to drive, sounds like a good trade off to me. So if the weather is looking nice down there for thursday(so we get a extra days riding in) i think im going to be picking up the 2 bubbys in c-bus around midnight on wednesday night(with stops and hitting the grochery store on the way in i figure on unloading and riding by 9 or 10 am). if it looks like rain down there thursday we will move it back to mid morning thurs(no point getting there ealry to watch the rain drops).

Edited by 2talltim

I have made the trip to the Smokies maybe 50 times in my life and i dont care what anyone says doing it at night is the best way to go. Plus no offence to the bubbys ive made the trip with before but id rather no take part in a caravan, you will never make good time. Someones late, or having a problem, or gotta poop, or smoke, you stop for gas because you need it but somone else says they dont then 30 miles later they need to stop. In othere words say for example you wanna leave at 8 and get there at 3 that turns into 10 & 5 then noon &7.

My crew has agreed to traveling at night, less traffic, less cops, more travel cushion. If they are willing to sleep im willing to drive, sounds like a good trade off to me. So if the weather is looking nice down there for thursday(so we get a extra days riding in) i think im going to be picking up the 2 bubbys in c-bus around midnight on wednesday night(with stops and hitting the grochery store on the way in i figure on unloading and riding by 9 or 10 am). if it looks like rain down there thursday we will move it back to mid morning thurs(no point getting there ealry to watch the rain drops).

quoted for troof. but.....with someone else, there's the safety net if something happens to your vehicle etc. there are very long stretches of 75 south with no exits or anything on those exits. (gas/food etc) it would suck big time to be stranded on the side of the road late at night on that part of the highway.

Edited by serpentracer

if it looks like rain down there thursday we will move it back to mid morning thurs(no point getting there ealry to watch the rain drops).

wrong, wrong, wrong.....if it is going rain all day then you still get there early and drink. ;)

I hate traffic

Also as of now my plan is to be in Cbus no later than 8am. I have to make a quick stop near 71/70 to meet another member to hopefully trade my suit then I'll be on the road if anyone wants to caravan. If traffic allows I attempt to make pretty good timing