What would you buy?

CBBaron

This is like asking which oil is best. I have a S&W 638 (Shrouded hammer version of the .38+P Airweight, allows for single action shooting. Schweet!) and the Ruger LC9 (very nice 9mm, but trigger pull is a little long for my taste)

I carry the Airweight about 90% of the time. Concealability is the name of the game and if it isnt comfortable to carry, it will sit in a drawer at home.

Consider how you are gonna carry it also. That is key. I like to pocket carry. Its the easiest way to conceal. You cannot pocket carry a double stacker without major printage.

(as suggested) Do go the route of trying as many pistols out that you can. It took me a good while to settle on a carry pistol. I actually switch between a .38 revolver, a Ruger LCP, and an XD9. Depending on the weather or attire I have on...I choose from the three. My favorite is the XD though.

That's too funny. With the exception of a Taurus PT140, that is my exact collection. 4587c05f-bef5-7ffd.jpg

NoBama 2012

Won't it be a problem that I have next to no experience with handguns?

Craig

For you maybe. Not for them. My experience has been most don't know and dont care what your experience is.

Got my first CHL in Indiana. No class or training required there. Just a Backround check. I remember taking my new .38 to an indoor range to shoot. They didn't ask anything. Just took my money and pointed to the range. I had never shot before in my life, and was thinking "you're just going to let me do this? No training, guidance, or anything?". Needless to say I was nervous.

Now last week, after many years as a CHL holder, 4 guns later, several range trips, I was made to watch a safety video at Miami Valley range before they would let me go out.

NoBama 2012

Take speedy up on his offer. He can show you the ropes and help you with shooting different guns/his. Try as many as you can.

If you getting it for concealed look at compacts and guns designed for conceal. M&p,XD sc, or a Glock cant go wrong.

Won't it be a problem that I have next to no experience with handguns?

Maybe my best plan is to use the gun they can provide for the class. Learn some basics. Then go rent.

Yea, you don't need to be overwhelmed by a bunch of new guns at a busy range with next to no handgun experience. It will be too stressful. Take the class first and use their guns, or if you want take speedy up on his offer. Also I would be willing to help, I am about 10 minutes from Stonewall. I have an XDm 40 you can shoot and can get a Glock 9mm for us to use that day.

We can meet at my house, go over the guns and range rules so you are comfortable before we get there.

But again, early some weekend morning, imho. Stonewall is nuts at other times.

Take speedy up on his offer. He can show you the ropes and help you with shooting different guns/his. Try as many as you can.

If you getting it for concealed look at compacts and guns designed for conceal. M&p,XD sc, or a Glock cant go wrong.

Speedy knows his stuff.

He is my "sometimes range partner, sometimes hunting partner.

Once you get past the fact he looks like Larry the Cable Guy, he is kinda cool.icon7.gif

Thanks I think Scott. I would be happy to do a pre range meet up to go over the guns and how they work. I live about 20 mins away from stonewall. And yeah I stopped going to stonewall on the weekend any time past 3 pm period. They will let anyone shoot in there and I prefer to not get shot while I train. Like I said I have a xd9sc, and the lc9, I could also see if the wife will let me bring her xd9 service model? If you have limited handgun experience I would be willing to bring my .22lr if you think it would be easier to learn the basics with.

My vote is for the S&W M&P9C. Its a bit cheaper than a Glock, the trigger and sights are superior to Glock and with the Apex Tactical trigger upgrade it blows the glock out of the water.

Not to mention, with an X-Grip and full size magazine in the gun its just like a full size gun for target shooting.

• Upvote 2

My vote is for the S&W M&P9C. Its a bit cheaper than a Glock, the trigger and sights are superior to Glock and with the Apex Tactical trigger upgrade it blows the glock out of the water.

Not to mention, with an X-Grip and full size magazine in the gun its just like a full size gun for target shooting.

Everyone take note, even the resident firearms dealer says M&P is better than Glock. :bow: Rep to you sir.

Before you buy, think about a few things first. Are you a big guy or a small framed guy?

1)If you're on the smaller side, a double stack may not be the gun for you for carry purposes. I have never been able to get used to carrying a double stack, it feels like I'm carrying a brick around all day. The Ruger LC9 you mentioned is a single stack, one of the few on the market and actually a much better gun than the KelTec PF9.

2) What ever gun you think you may want, check holster availability. Some guns just dont have enough holsters available on the market to give you a choice for comfortable carry.

If the gun you choose winds up being heavy, bulky or just uncomfortable to carry, you'll find yourself leaving it at home and that defeats the whole purpose of buying one.

Buy a good gun belt with a stiffner inside, they are expensive but well worth it. They make the difference in carrying all day or not. See "The beltman"

I'm one of the few who carries a 1911 on a fairly regular basis. Although its heavy, It is a single stack and has a slim profile so I can carry it easier than I can an XD, an M&P or a glock but I do not recomend one unless you shoot one on a regular basis. The aforementioned guns are pretty much point and shoot, a 1911 has a thumb safety that must be defeated and a single action trigger, both of which, if nervous, could lead to unintended consequences.

The best advice I could give is if you know someone who already has a carry rig set up, ask to try it on and see how it feels. Holsters like crossbreed, desantis, Galco, fobus, they all have a different feel for different guns. I own several carry guns, I only carry two of them and I use three different holsters depending on what I'm wearing. I hope some of that rambling helps you.......