What would you buy?

CBBaron

I am taking the CCW class in a couple weeks.

I have no experience with semi-auto pistols and very little experience with revolvers, but did grow up using shot guns and .22 to hunt.

I was thinking about getting a 9mm to use when I take the class and to practice with afterwards. I definitely want something for home defense and will probably want to carry once I am more comfortable with handling the weapon.

Price definitely does matter. One of the reasons for considering the 9mm as I understand that ammo to be generally more available and often cheaper than other defense rounds.

So should I get a carry piece like LC9?

or would I be better starting with a larger piece like an S&W MP or Glock?

Or should I just keep it simple with a .38 revolver?

Is there a good budget weapon I can start with to learn fundementals?

I am definitely no marksman and a complete newbie so things like a "smooth trigger" or "good balance" probably wont mean anything to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Craig

I was in the same boat as you when I started.

I ended up purchasing a Kahr CW9. Another Kahr option is the CM9 which is a bit smaller.

No safety, heavy trigger pull, comfortable in my hand, good sights, single stack, not extremely heavy.

It was my first handgun and I wanted something I could comfortably shoot a few hundred rounds through for range trips.

If your main purpose for getting it is to carry, get a gun that feels comfortable while carrying it. Always ask yourself what's the purpose of this before you buy it.

It was my first handgun and I wanted something I could comfortably shoot a few hundred rounds through for range trips.

If your main purpose for getting it is to carry, get a gun that feels comfortable while carrying it. Always ask yourself what's the purpose of this before you buy it.

I think thats the problem. I'd like a gun I could carry and shoot a few hundred rounds through for range trips. :(

I think I may need 2 different guns. But if I go that route it will be a while until I can afford the second gun.

Craig

Im planning on S&W .38 or .357 preferably hammerless and short barreled. I took my class about a month ago and the instructor had a S&W 357 with a 4 in barrel and thats what I used was 2nd best in the class (out of 7) and I had next to nothing in experience

I bought a S & W Sigma 9 mm as my first gun. Around $300. I like it as a first handgun.

and quality. Sucky trigger on the newer ones. But dependable. Point and click - I mean point and pull the trigger. Pretty easy.

I got my fiances, with 4 hicap mags for 200.00 used

1911. All you'll ever need for home defense or to carry. Parts are everywhere, and there is one in every price range and caliber. Its a true classic and has been around forever.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

You're gonna be one of the few on here that says a 1911 is good for carry.

I bought a S & W Sigma 9 mm as my first gun. Around $300. I like it as a first handgun.

Was thinking about this. Seems to be more budget friendly than most and reviews say its reliable. Lots of complaints about the trigger and some that say lower quality, but I couldn't see where that translated into less reliability or durability.

I'll have to go see how they feel in person.

Craig

I see you are in Cleveland. Go to Stonewall Range in Brecksville and drop down 10 bucks and rent something. Then rent every other gun they have or most of them. They will be 2 bucks a piece after the first one. Then get the one that feels best in your hand, you will know it when you feel it. General rule of thumb is get the biggest caliber weapon you are comfortable shooting and you will be comfortable carrying. That might be a 9, it might be a 45. It might be a Glock or it might be a Springfield XD....no one knows. But you will when you pull the trigger.

I suggest early in the morning on a weekend, they get super packed in the afternoons and evenings.

• Upvote 1

Thats a good idea :rolleyes:

The ammo should cost more than the class. :D

Budget friendly and a light comfortable to carry too. :D

Craig

yeah I was just goofing. I don't own a gun, don't see a need for one, but it looks like you got some great advice from tonik, and that would be the route I would go if I were seriously in the market.

Maybe do some reasearch and narrow it down to 6, then take $20 with you to the range and try them out.

Subcompact xd 9 or 40. You can't easily conceal it with the short mags and use the larger mags at the range. My first firearm was a XD 9 service 4" model.

You mean 'can' easily conceal I think. That is my carry weapon, the 40 XDm and I am a skinny dude. I print once in awhile, but don't really care. I carry it left side appendix IWB...I am left handed.....very comfortable on the bike which has a back rest. Not bad in the car.

I see you are in Cleveland. Go to Stonewall Range in Brecksville and drop down 10 bucks and rent something. Then rent every other gun they have or most of them. They will be 2 bucks a piece after the first one. Then get the one that feels best in your hand, you will know it when you feel it. General rule of thumb is get the biggest caliber weapon you are comfortable shooting and you will be comfortable carrying. That might be a 9, it might be a 45. It might be a Glock or it might be a Springfield XD....no one knows. But you will when you pull the trigger.

I suggest early in the morning on a weekend, they get super packed in the afternoons and evenings.

Excellent advice. You have to like the feel, just because person "X" likes firearm "x" doesn't mean you will like it.

I wish I had a range that rented firearms near me when I first got into firearms. If I would have listened to most people I would have bought a glock without looking at anything else. I might have gotten used to the grip angle or I might have hated it. Most any of the major brands are reliable, although I don't care for some Taurus products.

Won't it be a problem that I have next to no experience with handguns?

Maybe my best plan is to use the gun they can provide for the class. Learn some basics. Then go rent.

I do like the idea of trying some out before committing.

Craig

(as suggested) Do go the route of trying as many pistols out that you can. It took me a good while to settle on a carry pistol. I actually switch between a .38 revolver, a Ruger LCP, and an XD9. Depending on the weather or attire I have on...I choose from the three. My favorite is the XD though.