What would you buy?

CBBaron

My vote is for the S&W M&P9C. Its a bit cheaper than a Glock, the trigger and sights are superior to Glock and with the Apex Tactical trigger upgrade it blows the glock out of the water.

Not to mention, with an X-Grip and full size magazine in the gun its just like a full size gun for target shooting.

:bow:

My vote is for the S&W M&P9C. Its a bit cheaper than a Glock, the trigger and sights are superior to Glock and with the Apex Tactical trigger upgrade it blows the glock out of the water.

Not to mention, with an X-Grip and full size magazine in the gun its just like a full size gun for target shooting.

:nono: I think you need to read that again Kawi! :D

Everyone take note, even the resident firearms dealer says M&P is better than Glock. :bow: Rep to you sir.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Glock and don't intend this to be a bash Glock post. You can make alot of upgrades to the Glock as well, especially the trigger.

But out of the box, I think the M&P is a better value and I think I like the smooth curved trigger better than the glock safe-trigger. The other thing that I like that glock cant really do as well, is by using an X-Grip I can make my sub compact have a full size grip.

I think thats the problem. I'd like a gun I could carry and shoot a few hundred rounds through for range trips. :(

I think I may need 2 different guns. But if I go that route it will be a while until I can afford the second gun.

Craig

You can afford more guns. Don't let anyone tell you any different. :D

S&W M&P

/thread

But really, everyone has their opinion, it's all personal preference.

Buy an M&PC in 9mm or 40cal and be done... Shoot all day at the range, put in holster and good to go for carry weapon.

I bought the M&PC .40 for my first carry gun but didn't have a good experience with. The slide kept locking back mid magazine. Seems that the big flat nose of the .40 bullet was bumping the slide catch fooling the gun into thinking it was empty. Would happen once ever single magazine. I read that others with the .40 had the same issue, but not the 9mm was fine.

I sent the gun back to Smith, they "fixed" it and sent it back. I shot another 50rds through it without any failures but still sold it anyway. I need to have a little more faith in the tools that my life depends upon.

I don't have anything against Smith, but if I was buying a striker fired pistol in 9mm it would be a Glock, end of story.

But I don't like stiker fired, so I ended up getting a Sig p239 instead. It's an all metal frame, so its a little heavier which some people don't like. Its also a single stack so it has a relatively small capacity of 8+1. But it has a hammer that I can see (not striker fired like a Glock or M&P), and it is SA/DA trigger. So if you don't want it to go off don't pull the trigger, just like a revolver (for the first round anyway). But as I live and breathe after probably 1000 rds through it has never failed, and it actually is a lot of fun to plink with too, is very accurate. It's a Sig, so plan to spend a little more. Mine is the anti-snag version with the tricked out trigger, and was about $700 from Vance.

Edited by kiggy74

Before you buy, think about a few things first. Are you a big guy or a small framed guy?

1)If you're on the smaller side, a double stack may not be the gun for you for carry purposes. I have never been able to get used to carrying a double stack, it feels like I'm carrying a brick around all day. The Ruger LC9 you mentioned is a single stack, one of the few on the market and actually a much better gun than the KelTec PF9.

2) What ever gun you think you may want, check holster availability. Some guns just dont have enough holsters available on the market to give you a choice for comfortable carry.

If the gun you choose winds up being heavy, bulky or just uncomfortable to carry, you'll find yourself leaving it at home and that defeats the whole purpose of buying one.

Buy a good gun belt with a stiffner inside, they are expensive but well worth it. They make the difference in carrying all day or not. See "The beltman"

I'm one of the few who carries a 1911 on a fairly regular basis. Although its heavy, It is a single stack and has a slim profile so I can carry it easier than I can an XD, an M&P or a glock but I do not recomend one unless you shoot one on a regular basis. The aforementioned guns are pretty much point and shoot, a 1911 has a thumb safety that must be defeated and a single action trigger, both of which, if nervous, could lead to unintended consequences.

The best advice I could give is if you know someone who already has a carry rig set up, ask to try it on and see how it feels. Holsters like crossbreed, desantis, Galco, fobus, they all have a different feel for different guns. I own several carry guns, I only carry two of them and I use three different holsters depending on what I'm wearing. I hope some of that rambling helps you.......

I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs I can conceal a glock 19. It's all about the holster and placement

I am doing the outdoor show this weekend at the IX center. And there is a gunshow in berea this weekend. So it would have to be next week or later.

Thanks for the offer. I would love to take you up on it. The friends I know with guns are fairly inexperienced also so I don't feel 2 comfortable learning from them. Next weekend is the class but perhaps the following Sun (2/5).

Its great so many people are willing to offer there time use of their gear to someone they havn't even met.

I was hung up on taking my own gun to the class but I think I am best off using the gun they provide and spending a little time afterward figuring out what works best for me. Thats how I got into motorcycle not sure why I thought it should be different for guns.

Craig

Before you buy, think about a few things first. Are you a big guy or a small framed guy?

Big framed guy. 6'2" 220# But I am a little concerned about the comfort of carrying. Even things like fat wallets or cell phones but me in my pockets. And being tall I have a problem finding shirts long enough to keep my waist consistently covered.

So my thought after looking at some pictures and reading some is an IWB holster and eventually get a small gun like the LC9 or LCP. But I figure I will have to experiment some to find what works.

For now I am thinking getting something that works better for practice. I'm liking the suggestions for S&W either Sigma or M&P. Not that it should matter but I prefer the American made gun from and American company. Ive heard alot of good things about Glock but they are more expensive and imported which affects my decision. But I guess I won't know until I get a chance to try them out.

Thanks again for all the help

Craig

Hey Craig,

Just went through the purchase of my first dedicated carry pistol this week. I ended up with a Glock 23-4th Gen. I have a cheap 9mm that was given to me last year but the only handgun I had much experience with was my Ruger 22/45 in 22LR. I got to shoot an M&Pc in the .40 and I watched all the hillbillies on You Tube give their range reports on just about every pistol known to man, but the day I bought my glock I handled pistols from S&W, Glock, and Springfield and the Glock 23 felt the best in my hands.

I spent more time choosing this pistol than I did my first wife. Hope this works out better.

Now anyone got recomendations for a carry holster?

• Upvote 1

I am an S&W fanboy, but I'm telling you, don't waste your $ on a Sigma. If you must have semi-auto, and it must be a Smith, get the M&P. Otherwise, get an airweight or an LC9 and be done with it. You won't regret it.

Doesn't have to be S&W just was something I was considering.

Airweight is a revolver, right?

I have fired a .38 Bodyguard but it felt very awkward. I havn't fired one yet but the PF9 I held seemed much more natural. One reason I was leaning toward a semi-auto. Plus the semi-autos seemed to be thinner overall.

I probably should not rule out a whole class of guns based on a few minutes handling 1 :)

Craig

Go check out the airweights. I have the 638 (shrouded hammer) I would recommend the 438 as the black finish holds up better. These are aluminum frames and very light weight, but with .38+P, they pack a punch. Its in my pocket all day and I don't even notice.

I don't personally know anyone who carries IWB all day, FYI.

The most popular model is the hammerless double action only 647/447 (I think)

Big framed guy. 6'2" 220# But I am a little concerned about the comfort of carrying. Even things like fat wallets or cell phones but me in my pockets. And being tall I have a problem finding shirts long enough to keep my waist consistently covered.

For now I am thinking getting something that works better for practice. I'm liking the suggestions for S&W either Sigma or M&P.

I have the same problem in finding shirts long enough and shit in my pockets. I manage now but I really need to get a good gun belt and holster to help me out.

I had a Sigma and currently own a M&P. Spend the little bit extra now and get the M&P. Its a much better gun. Ive had that gun since it came out and have zero complaints or issues.

1)If you're on the smaller side, a double stack may not be the gun for you for carry purposes. I have never been able to get used to carrying a double stack, it feels like I'm carrying a brick around all day. The Ruger LC9 you mentioned is a single stack, one of the few on the market and actually a much better gun than the KelTec PF9.

2) What ever gun you think you may want, check holster availability. Some guns just dont have enough holsters available on the market to give you a choice for comfortable carry.

If the gun you choose winds up being heavy, bulky or just uncomfortable to carry, you'll find yourself leaving it at home and that defeats the whole purpose of buying one.

Buy a good gun belt with a stiffner inside, they are expensive but well worth it. They make the difference in carrying all day or not. See "The beltman"

I'm one of the few who carries a 1911 on a fairly regular basis. Although its heavy, It is a single stack and has a slim profile so I can carry it easier than I can an XD, an M&P or a glock but I do not recomend one unless you shoot one on a regular basis. The aforementioned guns are pretty much point and shoot, a 1911 has a thumb safety that must be defeated and a single action trigger, both of which, if nervous, could lead to unintended consequences.

The best advice I could give is if you know someone who already has a carry rig set up, ask to try it on and see how it feels. Holsters like crossbreed, desantis, Galco, fobus, they all have a different feel for different guns. I own several carry guns, I only carry two of them and I use three different holsters depending on what I'm wearing. I hope some of that rambling helps you.......

I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs I can conceal a glock 19. It's all about the holster and placement

Like Kawi said, it's about holster and placement. I'm 6'1" 155lbs and CC a full size M&P .40 with just a standard leather IWB holster and a heavy belt. Sometimes I'll fold the bottom of my shirt up under the holster clip and that helps to keep the shirt down and over it.

I bought the M&PC .40 for my first carry gun but didn't have a good experience with. The slide kept locking back mid magazine. Seems that the big flat nose of the .40 bullet was bumping the slide catch fooling the gun into thinking it was empty. Would happen once ever single magazine. I read that others with the .40 had the same issue, but not the 9mm was fine.

I sent the gun back to Smith, they "fixed" it and sent it back. I shot another 50rds through it without any failures but still sold it anyway. I need to have a little more faith in the tools that my life depends upon.

You're one of the few. I used to have an M&P .45c and currently have a .40, never the slightest issue with either. I trust my life to my .40 everyday.

Like Kawi said, it's about holster and placement. I'm 6'1" 155lbs and CC a full size M&P .40 with just a standard leather IWB holster and a heavy belt. Sometimes I'll fold the bottom of my shirt up under the holster clip and that helps to keep the shirt down and over it.

You're one of the few. I used to have an M&P .45c and currently have a .40, never the slightest issue with either. I trust my life to my .40 everyday.

I think they had dome issues with the early ones. I know two guys were shooting the same M&P at the CHL class I took they had feeding issues and quite a few ftf like one or more each magazine. They were using factory ammo and even had two brands I believe. I was Leary of the M&P's for a while after that. The was another Guy with the same issues in my local shop around the same time. Both were sent back to S&W.

Oh I agree it can be done. I've done it. its a personal preference though for the thinner single stack. Its not the weight nor the actual size that bothers me, its the thickness. To me it just seems excessively thick. I started off with 1911's though. anybody starting off with a double stack may be fine. Like I said, personal preference.... but still something to consider.