How do you turn off your bike?

Scruit

How do you turn off your bike?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How do you turn off your bike?

• Ignition key
    • Engine stop switch
    • Put down kickstand

At work the other day I noticed every bike but mine parked with the engine stop switch in the "Run" position.  I always turn my engine off using that switch. 

The wiring diagram for my bike shows the engine switch cuts off power to the coil, and the ignition cuts off power to the ECM. 

Is there a right way and a wrong way?  Or is it different strokes?

Edited by Scruit

I never understood for once second, why anyone would use anything other than the key "if your bike uses a key" to shut it off. Now the few times on my dirtbikes where I was about to drown my bike in a water crossing, now that is the only time I have EVER hit the kill switch on a motorcycle.

Isn't a kill switch just a leftover relic from the 70's when a throttle cable could get stuck open?  Cars don't need a kill switch.  Why do motorcycles?

I see the point of a kill switch on a race bike, or a dirtbike/minibike that doesn't have a key.

I've heard all kinds of weird things about why the kill switch exists, from "It's the primary way of turning the bike off - It's the E in the MSF FINE-C process" all the way to "It's only to turn the bike off if you feel you are falling off"

I've always used the kill switch to turn the bike off and left it in the off position while parked.  It's right there, so why not?   

Turn on:

- Key in, turn to Off the release steering lock

- Get on bike, rock it off the center stand

- Key to Run

- Neutral

- Engine switch to RUN

- Starter

Turn off:

- Engine switch to STOP

- 1st gear

- Kickstand down

- Get off the bike

- Pull the bike up onto the center stand and stow the kickstand

- Turn the handlebars full left, turn key from Run to Lock and remove key.

Edited by Scruit

I've heard all kinds of weird things about why the kill switch exists, from "It's the primary way of turning the bike off - It's the E in the MSF FINE-C process" all the way to "It's only to turn the bike off if you feel you are falling off"

I've always used the kill switch to turn the bike off and left it in the off position while parked.  It's right there, so why not?   

Turn on:

- Key in, turn to Off the release steering lock

- Get on bike, rock it off the center stand

- Key to Run

- Neutral

- Engine switch to RUN

- Starter

Turn off:

- Engine switch to STOP

- 1st gear

- Kickstand down

- Get off the bike

- Pull the bike up onto the center stand and stow the kickstand

- Turn the handlebars full left, turn key from Run to Lock and remove key.

This is interesting, I always leave my side stand down when on the center stand. IDK why, maybe if it fell off the center stand maybe the side stand might catch it, although highly doubtful. I have heard stories of the kill switch wearing out on BMWs by being turned on and off too much.

This is interesting, I always leave my side stand down when on the center stand. IDK why, maybe if it fell off the center stand maybe the side stand might catch it, although highly doubtful. I have heard stories of the kill switch wearing out on BMWs by being turned on and off too much.

Back when Honda Northwest was open I watched one of their techs roll a bike backwards in neutral, pushing from the handlebars...  Then just let it go.   It fell to its left side as it rolled and landed on the kickstand - continuing its slide, dragging on the kickstand, for another 6 or 7 feet on the smooth concrete floor.

Maybe an approved technique of moving bikes...  But that was when I figured I wasn't gonna have them do any more work on my bike.

Isn't a kill switch just a leftover relic from the 70's when a throttle cable could get stuck open?  Cars don't need a kill switch.  Why do motorcycles?

I see the point of a kill switch on a race bike, or a dirtbike/minibike that doesn't have a key.

The MSF will tell you that it's unsafe to take either hand off the bars to turn the key.

• Upvote 1

The MSF will tell you that it's unsafe to take either hand off the bars to turn the key.

And you can zip your sack into your pants zipper too if your not super super careful. It's a pussy fied world i tell you. Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I always put the side stand down to kill engine, then I get off bike, turn handlebars, turn off and remove key

I had an incident once where I shut it off with the key, sat on it for a minute and checked something on my phone that was in my tank bag, then attempted to dismount with the stand up... Almost dropped it.

It gets shut off either way, so it doesn't matter, but I prefer to put kickstand down right away

I've never used the kill switch on anything except dirt bikes with no keys

Edited by Steve Butters