How do you turn off your bike?

Scruit

How do you turn off your bike?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How do you turn off your bike?

• Ignition key
    • Engine stop switch
    • Put down kickstand

I'm pretty surprised I'm one of the few who uses side stand to kill bike.... It prevents me from forgetting my key....

Just the opposite for me. I pull me key and pocket it after I start it...so hitting the side stand makes me forget to turn ignition switch off...learned the hard way.

This is interesting, I always leave my side stand down when on the center stand. IDK why, maybe if it fell off the center stand maybe the side stand might catch it, although highly doubtful. I have heard stories of the kill switch wearing out on BMWs by being turned on and off too much.

I read somewhere that taking a bike off its centerstand with the side stand down could jolt the kickstand and possible cause damage to either the kickstand assembly or the frame of the bike.  I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

I use my kill switch, so that the bike is stopped before I take my hand off the bars.  Guess that makes me a lamer :)  But I prefer one hand on the front brake and one one hand on the clutch, even though I park my bike in neutral.

Unless I'm worried about it rolling forward where it might come off the kickstand, then I leave it in gear.

I have to pull my key from the ignition to unlock my frunk, so I'm not worried about leaving it in the ignition and running down the battery... Although I have left it in the bike before :)  I had it turned to "off," which I think I do by habit immediately after using the kill switch.

lol i had an 80 something yz125 with some type of carb problems....i fired it up, it started redlining and screaming....hit the kill switch, it kept running, i then pulled the spark plug boot off and it still kept running....it was crazy, its like it got so hot or something it kept firing like a diesel with no spark....what good is a kill switch anyways lol, the only time in my life ive actually needed it and it didnt even work

Edited by Steve Butters

Ducati mounts their kickstands to the engine case. There is no frame down there on my bike.

I am surprised at the number of riders that don't park in gear. I ALMOST always park and start in gear. That "clunk" into first just makes my face twitch when I hear it from other bikes.

How many of you put your bike in neutral at a traffic light?

Neutral at light only after the car behind me has stopped.  Otherwise in 1st gear and pointed to one side or other of the car in front of me.

I never put my bike in neutral while riding unless absolutely necessary.  At a light I am always in first gear with the clutch pulled in.  Once in a while if I need a stretch, I will put the bike in neutral and stretch my arms, other than that I am always in gear.

I put it in neutral at a a light only after traffic behind me has come to a stop and I know I'm going to be sitting for a bit (i.e. it's not about to change green). I want to be able to get outta dodge RIGHT NOW if the asshat behind me is looking at their phone and about to run up my ass like George Michael on spanish fly. The only exception is if I just went through a lot of stop and go traffic and my hand is tired from all the clutch play. The S10 has a pretty stout clutch spring and it wears on you if you are stop and go a lot.

I always kill my bike with the key. Both my 600rr and F4i have had touchy kill switches. So once it has a good connection I try not to disturb it. I usually park in neutral unless I'm afraid bike will roll due to an incline. I guess maybe I should park in gear all the time, but then when I go to start it I'm all messed up. Ruins my whole Rainman routine. Math teacher = creature of habit. Neutral at light once the driver behind me stops.

I have found that now that I have a street bike again, I am using the kill switch on her. Probably force of habit from spending the last 4 seasons only on a track bike that has no key. But for the street it is surely not necessary. Anywhoo...I also put my shit in neutral at a light once traffic behind me has stopped, park the bike in 1st, jerk off with my left hand (because the right either controls the mouse or I pinch my nipples with it), eat my salad with whatever fork I choose, pass gas in front of house guests (but say 'Excuse me' because I am fucking classy), and always walk your mom to her car when I am done with her because while I do care that she makes it there safely, she sure as fuck isn't spending the night.

I have found that now that I have a street bike again, I am using the kill switch on her. Probably force of habit from spending the last 4 seasons only on a track bike that has no key. But for the street it is surely not necessary. Anywhoo...I also put my shit in neutral at a light once traffic behind me has stopped, park the bike in 1st, jerk off with my left hand (because the right either controls the mouse or I pinch my nipples with it), eat my salad with whatever fork I choose, pass gas in front of house guests (but say 'Excuse me' because I am fucking classy), and always walk your mom to her car when I am done with her because while I do care that she makes it there safely, she sure as fuck isn't spending the night.

Dynabeads or Analbeads?

I kill the bike, in gear, with the kill switch. Flip lights to dim, then turn key off. Then kickstand down, always leaving it in gear.

To start, in gear, clutch in, kill switch on, key on, kickstand up, start button.

Oh and on carbureted bikes, fuel petcock always gets turned to off position.