What did you do to your bike today?

JustinNck1

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Suspended my insurance coverage for winter. :(

Why? Most insurance plans in Ohio account for the winter months already, so you don't really save anything by suspending coverage over the winter. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it is almost winter. Heal up quick man. 

Booo, I'm riding Sunday.

Now I can look at the bike better at night instead of riding it.

Nice, I also recently added 2 of the 4ft. Triple tube led lights in my garage. I need a couple more, but for now I'm still using the 2 dbl tube florescents. The LED's but the old florescents to shame.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, Casper said:

Now I can look at the bike better at night instead of riding it. 

IMG_5023.JPG

Looks good man. Wish I could have done LED in my garage but 2 years ago when I was in the process LED prices hadn't started to drop yet. I did six 8ft high output fluorescent fixtures each with 2 bulbs. At least with the high output they are cold starting down to 0 degrees, any colder than that I don't need to be in the garage..LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

The Triumph has an overheating problem all of a sudden, so checked cooling system for air, didn't see any come out, problem persisted. Will burp system again later to see if there's a stubborn bubble somewhere but I noticed white exhaust when I warmed the engine up so hoping I don't have a blown head gasket mixing shit together. With the care the techs at Motohio took reassembling the bike (none at all) this past spring after having the engine apart for the 24,000 mile service, I'm somewhat worried they fucked something up internally too and the gap trip shook something loose.

/crosses fingers for just air in system

//crosses toes for just air in system

Installed 3750mL of rotella t6 and an overpriced fram oil filter. Cleaned greased and tucked away. Also hooked up to tender. Just gotta find an old sheet to place over it and find my fan to move air across the garage 

6 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Installed 3750mL of rotella t6 and an overpriced fram oil filter. Cleaned greased and tucked away. Also hooked up to tender. Just gotta find an old sheet to place over it and find my fan to move air across the garage 

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=36360

If you're paying outrageous $$$ for a filter you might as well get something better than a Fram (gag...)

You can get these at decent auto part stores.  (NAPA, not O'Riellys' or other cheap discount outlets).  Please double check the p/n to make sure it's right for your bike.

Edited by Wandering Soul
Not enough coffee

My '98 might get the wiring on the handlebars hidden.  But my '56 continues to get the top end redone.  Repaired the threads on one of the cylinder stud holes and loctited the stud back into place.  As soon as machine work is done on my cylinder heads I'll start what assembly is necessary to check for interference of moving parts.  Front and rear master cylinders have been removed. drained and are soaking.  New rear brake hose ordered.

Not the sort of bikes the rest of you might ride, but they both make me grin.

40 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=36360

If you're paying outrageous $$$ for a filter you might as well get something better than a Fram (gag...)

You can get these at decent auto part stores.  (NAPA, not O'Riellys' or other cheap discount outlets).  Please double check the p/n to make sure it's right for your bike.

Listen up grandpa. I know Frams are shit. It's what Walmart had. It's for storage and will be replaced with a Suzuki filter come spring. So it's been ran for a total of 10 minutes and probably another 10 minutes before it's swapped out in march. 

Also i so I reused the crush washer. Want to scold me on that?

24 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

Listen up grandpa. I know Frams are shit. It's what Walmart had. It's for storage and will be replaced with a Suzuki filter come spring. So it's been ran for a total of 10 minutes and probably another 10 minutes before it's swapped out in march. 

Also i so I reused the crush washer. Want to scold me on that?

Didn't know your storage routines.  I see Fram filters where the crimp is half-assed and other problems.  Most of you kids as a rule don't know any better.  Rather than see an engine suffer I speak up.

Oh...I am a grandpa.  All three of my grandsons know Wix is the best.  Oldest is 4.  If you're lucky enough your grandfather is above ground you might want to discuss that crush washer with him.

But it's your bike.  Motor on...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

Didn't know your storage routines.  I see Fram filters where the crimp is half-assed and other problems.  Most of you kids as a rule don't know any better.  Rather than see an engine suffer I speak up.

Oh...I am a grandpa.  All three of my grandsons know Wix is the best.  Oldest is 4.  If you're lucky enough your grandfather is above ground you might want to discuss that crush washer with him.

But it's your bike.  Motor on...

Generally Suzuki for the Suzuki Motorcraft for the Ford and AC Delco for the GMC ;)

at at least I turned the crush washer over. But always a new one in the spring. :)

Edited by zx3vfr

1 minute ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I will never understand why people change their oil before sticking the bike in storage, just to change it again in the spring. It's an engine. It's bathed in oil. Four months of storage will not even put a dent in that oil. Why so wasteful? It does nothing but lightening your wallet. The placebo game isn't even that strong. 

Arguing over what filter to use for winter storage is kind of dumb. Slightly more dumb than changing the oil for winter storage. It's not a houseplant. It's a fucking pile of metal soaked in oil. Nothing is going to happen in it. It won't die. It won't rust. 

Your chain and sprockets are another story. Most people don't touch those for storage, but "Holy Shit!!" themselves over engine oil. 

Boggles my mind. 

Just don't forget to switch out your summer tire air with winter tire air....:lol:

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I will never understand why people change their oil before sticking the bike in storage, just to change it again in the spring. It's an engine. It's bathed in oil. Four months of storage will not even put a dent in that oil. Why so wasteful? It does nothing but lightening your wallet. The placebo game isn't even that strong. 

Arguing over what filter to use for winter storage is kind of dumb. Slightly more dumb than changing the oil for winter storage. It's not a houseplant. It's a fucking pile of metal soaked in oil. Nothing is going to happen in it. It won't die. It won't rust. 

Your chain and sprockets are another story. Most people don't touch those for storage, but "Holy Shit!!" themselves over engine oil. 

Boggles my mind. 

I wondered the same, I change mine at manufactured recommended intervals, if  that's in June and Sept. that's when it gets changed. I changed mine before the Oct gap trip and it probably wont get changed again till after the June gap trip.

No need to over think this people. Wash it, put it on the center stand or wheel stand if you have one and plug it in to the tender. That's it, no need for fuel stabilizer or special oil changes or parking it wood instead on concrete. In the spring check the tire pressure, fluids, give it a good look over and get everything up top temp at least once and ride.

• Upvote 1