Random Thoughts thread

SAMBUSA

18 hours ago, Bad324 said:

A coworker of mine that doesn't have kids just went on one a couple weeks ago and was raving about it 

I just got back from a cruise yesterday...I have been to the all inclusive etc, my opinion is a cruise is the only way to vacation!

Just now, bowdog said:

lol i don't necessarily count that as vacation, i count that as riding and hanging out with cool peeps.

Fair. In that case I hadnt taken a vacation since like 2007 besides be going down to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of last year. That had 0 Motorsports involved in it. Relaxing though!

15 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Cancelling DirecTV felt way better than it should have.  Went Sling on my already jail broken Firesticks.

$140/month down to $35/month.  That's almost a motorcycle payment ;) 

Did the same...  good deal.

56 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Cancelling DirecTV felt way better than it should have.  Went Sling on my already jail broken Firesticks.

$140/month down to $35/month.  That's almost a motorcycle payment ;) 

My Element® Android box has sure payed for itself in the year that i've had it!

https://www.streamelement.com/

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I have a 3 year old and a 7 year old.  Sometimes TV = peace in the house.

yup don't care if people think I'm a bad parent for letting 9 month olds watch Daniel Tiger in between their bottles and naps so I can get work done while I'm working from home on Mon and Wed mornings until 2nd shift babysitters arrive.

3 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

As the parent of a 17 year old, fucking toss that television and buy fishing poles, skateboards, bicycles and hiking shoes. 

Fuck. That. Television. 

Reminds me of an oldie but goodie...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

As the parent of a 17 year old, fucking toss that television and buy fishing poles, skateboards, bicycles and hiking shoes.
Fuck. That. Television. 

Absolutely and well said!
I haven't owned a TV for 30 years.
I'm too busy living to watch TV.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

How is the internet any better than television?  In some ways it's much worse.

Infinitely better...  for the inquisitive mind and everything on demand.
Build a deck, fix a car, fabricate a part, learn to program, get a recipe, acquire coupons, check the weather, get a deal on travelling, check your financial status...  
And if you want to watch a movie, or a TV series... anything, any time, anywhere.
Did you really have to ask?

• Upvote 1

The internet is full of time wasting things, but it can be a powerful and useful tool. I always tell people, if you have the desire to learn something, most likely there is something on the internet to teach you about it. This is coming from a self taught graphic designer and video encoder.

27 minutes ago, Fin said:

Infinitely better...  for the inquisitive mind and everything on demand.
Build a deck, fix a car, fabricate a part, learn to program, get a recipe, acquire coupons, check the weather, get a deal on travelling, check your financial status...  
And if you want to watch a movie, or a TV series... anything, any time, anywhere.
Did you really have to ask?

OK, so watching a movie or tv series on tv is no good, but watching the same thing on the internet is better...somehow?  It seems infinitely arbitrary to me.

If you are talking about a technology time suck, I would say the internet is worse.  Probably far worse, but to each their own...and stuff.

Edit:  The lines between TV/Streaming/internet are blurry if they even exist anymore.  They overlap more than they don't.  I don't follow the logic in saying one is acceptable but not the other :dunno:  

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

It's all a matter of how much exposure you're willing to allow. You're right, Tony.

I'm saying if I had it to do over again, I'd have never owned a television in the first place. Personally, the internet is superior to the television in portability and options. Televisions are gigantic and expensive and practically immobile. If I want to watch a show in the basement while I'm exercising...laptop is portable. Tunes are bluetoothed. Don't need tv and internet and I can do far more with the latter. 

YMMV

The number of TV vs internet sales shows this too. Each year, more people are paying for the higher tier internet and dropping their television subscriptions to lower tier or completely. This is why my job at the cable company has transitioned from video commercials to digital advertising. People want mobility.