How do you deal with stoplights?

ohdaho

treat it as a four way stop.

I think your wording might be a bit misleading. At a four way stop you would expect cross traffic to stop. You treat it like a stop sign in your lane with cross traffic having the right of way.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your wording might be a bit misleading. At a four way stop you would expect cross traffic to stop. You treat it like a stop sign in your lane with cross traffic having the right of way.

Erm no, at a 4 way stop everyone stops and you let the person who was first go... unless you get there at the same time then it's the person to your left...

well that's all according to the drivers manual of course

Erm no, at a 4 way stop everyone stops and you let the person who was first go... unless you get there at the same time then it's the person to your left...

well that's all according to the drivers manual of course

:wtf:

I think we all know that.

He was saying that you shouldn't treat it as a 4-way, but as a stop sign at at road that does not stop.

:wtf:

I think we all know that.

He was saying that you shouldn't treat it as a 4-way, but as a stop sign at at road that does not stop.

1. I never assume anyone on this forum knows any real traffic laws :)

2. Oh... my misunderstanding, that does make more sense :)

Had a light that would not change when I was living in Baltimore. We waited for about 5 minutes and then very slowly rolled through the intersection after we were sure it was clear. Cost me and my buddy $150.00 each..... :mad:

what an asshole cop....not your fault the city doesnt build their shit right...not like you pulled out into traffic...he coulda atleast gave you a warning or turned the other cheek or something

what an asshole cop....not your fault the city doesnt build their shit right...not like you pulled out into traffic...he coulda atleast gave you a warning or turned the other cheek or something

and the judge agreed with the cop. Said we should have turned right gone down to the next intersection and make a legal u turn....... :rulez:

the mcdonalds at 70 and 310 doesnt pick up bikes in the drive through...easy way to get free food though lol...sat in line, nothing...car pulled up behind me so i decided to go to window to order...nobody at front window...went to second window, and they assumed i had already paid at first window and they handed me the food that belonged to the car behind me lol...i didnt take it, just told them my order and they rang it out at the cash register for the eat-in people lol

I have a light near my house, that won't change.....so I turn right and make a legal U turn...no other way....I hear the green light triggers works great....I don't encounter them often so never thought...

lol

If you ride a two-wheeled vehicle, you can attach the magnet to your shoe with epoxy paste so that when you pull up to an intersection, you're able to spot the wire and put your shoe right over it with the magnet.

Yah, let me glue a magnet to my shoe! lol

I don't worry about the lights that much... if one doesn't change I'll deal with it.

ABATE has a BIG piece about dealing with the lights. http://www.abate.com/

Tired of sitting on your bike at Red Lights

that won't turn GREEN ???? For the past several months, ODOT has worked closely with the American Motorcycle Association to target automated traffic signals that are not sensitive enough to recognize when a motorcycle or scooter is waiting for a light to change.

To enlist the help of Ohio’s motorcyclists, ODOT set up a special phone number & E-mail for motorcyclists for reporting problem intersections. When reports come in, ODOT will notifiy signal owners – often a city or county – about the situation and offer recommendations for improvement.

Red Light Hotline

614-387-0722 Red Light E-mail

bike.report@dot.state.oh.us

The ODOT engineer said that the best spot to trip the light, is to put the bike in one of the corners of the box cut in the street.

I tried the kickstand down on the cut in the street the other day, at the airport, and it appeared to work. It changed immediately, but still not sure yet on that one.

There is an official email address to report lights that won't trip for motorcycles.

ODOT actually wants to fix them.

I'll see if I can dig it out of the ODOT internet...

Aren't I special... that was quick:

ODOT improving Traffic Signal Safety for Motorcycles and Scooters

COLUMBUS (April 29, 2009) - As more Ohioans choose motorcycles and scooters as their primary means of transportation in warmer weather, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) is taking special steps to ensure their safety at intersections across the state.

Over the past several months, ODOT has worked closely with the American Motorcycle Association to target automated traffic signals that are not sensitive enough to recognize when a motorcycle or scooter is waiting for a light to change. Frustrated bikers or the drivers in cars behind them may choose to run the red light, putting them and other motorists at serious risk.

Last year there were 60 intersection-related motorcycle fatalities, representing nearly a third of all motorcycle fatalities in Ohio.

To enlist the help of Ohio’s motorcyclists, ODOT has set up a special phone number - (614) 387-0722 - and email address - bike.report@dot.state.oh.us - for motorcyclists to report these problem intersections.

ODOT will then notify signal owners - often a city or county - about the problem and offer recommendations, such as increasing the sensitivity of the in-ground loop detectors which trigger the signal. Another possible solution is to paint symbols on the pavement where motorcyclists should stop to activate the loop detector.

Actually, it's written up in the ABATE article that Likwid posted...

So now we've told everyone twice, start calling in the problems!

Edited by ReconRat
add link to article with email address

Check both ways, and go. My time is more valuable than sitting and waiting for the next car to trigger the indicator behind me, or turn right and wait for a legal u turn. Nothing coming=not waiting.

Check both ways, and go. My time is more valuable than sitting and waiting for the next car to trigger the indicator behind me, or turn right and wait for a legal u turn. Nothing coming=not waiting.

this is how i am sometimes too...even in my car lol

theres one light in particular down town that i run every single time i go to class....its crossing a 1 way street, and it takes about 5mins to trigger and only lasts for about 15 secs once its green...i just pull up, look both ways (i realize its a 1 way lol...look both ways to spot for cops), and go

The best is trying to explain pulling forward to somebody who doesn't believe there are wires to trip at a light. I'm not going to ever waste my time on that again!

The best is trying to explain pulling forward to somebody who doesn't believe there are wires to trip at a light. I'm not going to ever waste my time on that again!

lol my girl never knew...so when she first started riding in my car she was always so confused when i would stop 2-3 cars back from the intersection when there was no traffic in front of me