What i did in guns.

kawi kid

I was thinking this.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine

I was under the understanding the m4 was a smaller adjustable stock m16 that fires semi and 3 round burst. Also that the M4A1 was the semi and full auto variant of the M4 while the AR15 was the semi auto only version of the m4.

I carry an M4A1 at work its semi/full auto although I believe full auto is a dumb idea unless your making a last stand against a mob of zombies and don't mind losing a lot of ammo.

But am I mistaken here about which is which? I know a lot of guns nomenclature and parts get interchanged especially while dealing with mil-spec weapons.

Edited by cOoTeR
forgot to have "nomenclature" in there.

per US Army manual FM 3-22.9, Rifle Marksmanship

M16-/M4-Series Weapons, Chapter 2 Table 2-1:

M4 and M4A1 are exactly the same initially,

except the M4A1 has full auto and M4 has burst mode

there is also the M4 MWS (Modular Weapon System), The M4 carbine becomes the M4 MWS when the M4 adapter rail system (ARS) is installed

per US Army manual FM 3-22.9, Rifle Marksmanship

M16-/M4-Series Weapons, Chapter 2 Table 2-1:

M4 and M4A1 are exactly the same initially,

except the M4A1 has full auto and M4 has burst mode

there is also the M4 MWS (Modular Weapon System), The M4 carbine becomes the M4 MWS when the M4 adapter rail system (ARS) is installed

So the m4 and m4a1 are the auto weapons and the semi auto is the ar?

My understanding:

AR 15 (“ArmaLite Model 15”, later purchased by Colt) is the semi-auto predecessor version of the M16.

Generically, the M4 is the carbine length (developed by Colt), with a barrel profile cut for compatibility with the M203 grenade launcher. The semi-auto, civilian available versions are not technically M4’s, but look-alikes (M4gery :D)…

Brands other than Colt or ArmaLite are not technically “Ar-15’s” (model designation)…If you notice the serials on the clones, they are XM-15, SL-15, etc…

So the m4 and m4a1 are the auto weapons and the semi auto is the ar?

The M4 fires a 3 shot burst when set on full auto.

The M4A1 will empty the magazine when set on full auto.

That field manual says the M16A1 and M16A3 are the full auto,

and the the M16A2 and M16A4 are burst mode.

M16A2 and M16A3 are a common platform, M16A4 is different.

M16A2/A3 is 1.3 lbs lighter than the M16A4.

M16A1 has the 12:1 twist, all others are 7:1.

None are semi-auto only.

Edited by ReconRat

Evolution of the M16/M4M16evolution_zps451617ac.jpg

I call it the Mr. Potato Head of weapons.

m4-attachments_zpsc72f2e26.jpg

If you bought anything that looks close to this, it is an AR. They can call it whatever they want, M4 styling on the civilian market is still an AR. The M4 selector lever has Safe, Semi, and Burst. I would not call "Burst" full auto.

Edited by Mojoe

The M4A1 issued to me for work has safe semi and auto. The auto is full auto not burst unless its a 30 round burst.
The M4 fires a 3 shot burst when set on full auto.

The M4A1 will empty the magazine when set on full auto.

Yours is an A1 model as you stated.

As I said, it's probably a marketing thing.

I've been digging around on this subject and it seems that the feed ramp is different on the M4 than most ar's. When they use the M4 style feed ramp ramp it seems to allow them to call it an M4 for marketing. But that's what I've gathered thru Google searches and gun forums. Nothing official. :dunno:.

I've been digging around on this subject and it seems that the feed ramp is different on the M4 than most ar's. When they use the M4 style feed ramp ramp it seems to allow them to call it an M4 for marketing. But that's what I've gathered thru Google searches and gun forums. Nothing official. :dunno:.

Interesting note. Good to know.

I took the Walther PPQ and the HI-Point 9C to the range this morning.

I field stripped and cleaned / lubed both pistols Sunday night.

I brought white box Whinchester 100 value pack and Blazer brass ammo.

I started with the Hi-Point first. I bought this gun used. I noticed after loading the mag with ammo, the nose of the bullets pointed downward. I pushed the top bullet down alittle and the nose pointed upward. I put the mag in the pistol, racked the slide and fired the first round. The spent case was ejected, but the second round did not load because it was pointing downward. I dropped the mag, removed the rest of the 9 rounds and loaded only 5. The nose pointed up. Racked the slide, fired the round, spent case ejected, but did not pick up the second round due to the nose pointing downward. Ok, so the mag is having an issue.Changed to mag #2 and to Blazer ammo, loaded 5 round of ammo and the same issue, would not load the second round due to the nose pointing down. Ok, enough of the hi-point, i'll work on that later. And the sight were off, shooting way low. Previous owner must have jacked with the sights.

Now the PPQ is just AWESOME.

Ran flawless with either ammo. I will have to get used to the "quick reset" trigger. This is very different then my Browning High Power. With the PPQ, I was still releasing the trigger completely ( full travel forward). I was able to fire off a few rounds without complete letting the trigger travel all the forward ( all High Power like) but I will have to get the muscle memory with this new pistol.

I noticed I was shooting a little low and left. I did not bring any tools with me, or I would have tried the two other backstraps included with the PPQ. I think I am going to like the PPQ, just need more range time with it.

• Casper unpinned this topic