$20,000 for an automobile, what would you buy?

e-flores

For myself, I wouldnt spend $20k on a car.

Get something dependable and functional and use it for as long as possible. Cars are a waste of money. A modest used compact are usually available for $5k if you shop around. Buy a nice bike with some of the savings and put the rest towards and loans or your retirement.

Even more of a waste for me because I only drive the car when I can't motorcycle (snow, ice, passenger). I put less than 2k miles a year on the car.

The new 4 door Wranglers with the hardtop are pretty damn awesome. If I didn't have a truck as a daily for work, I would easily consider one even though it lacks cargo space

I'm sorry, Wranglers have 2 doors. Now, I will concede that for the past few years, Chrysler has been producing some kind of 4 doored abomination that they choose to call "Wrangler" but it's not to be confused with the real thing.

And I don't even like Jeeps. :D

A lot of people on here seem to have Subaru! Man, I like the styling on a lot of them, and you can't argue with the technology... but I really can't afford a new one. And I don't live near enough to Vermont or know a lesbian to get a used one from.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, Wranglers have 2 doors. Now, I will concede that for the past few years, Chrysler has been producing some kind of 4 doored abomination that they choose to call "Wrangler" but it's not to be confused with the real thing.

You better pray you never step foot on my train again.

I know there arent a lot of GM fans on here but the best car investment i have have ever made is our current 07 chevy impala. We picked it up 3 years ago as a lease return with 24,000 miles on it for around $11,000. Full size car with full size power(3.9L v6) and i can still get 30mpg+ on the freeway. And currently at 79,000 miles the only thing i have dont to it is, 4 tires, battery, heater vent accuator($35), and i had to fix a wire on the shifter(free fix). Anyway if you find something like this for a daily driver you still have the rest of your bank roll for a toy on the side.

Jeep patriots are nice and run around $20k :dunno:

And one of the very worst rated vehicles on the road, but don't just take my word for it. I rented a new 2012 while down in Florida back In August, and I could not wait to turn it back in. What Edmunds says in this article is pretty much spot on IMHO.

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/liberty/2012/

And one of the very worst rated vehicles on the road, but don't just take my word for it. I rented a new 2012 while down in Florida back In August, and I could not wait to turn it back in. What Edmunds says in this article is pretty much spot on IMHO.

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/liberty/2012/

"It gets even worse with the four-wheel-drive Liberty, which returns 17 mpg combined -- the same as a V8-powered Chevy Tahoe"

This is why my parents are trading in their 4x4 liberty, worst gas milage ever!

"To call its interior "not up to par" would imply it's playing on the same metaphorical golf course as those it competes against. On the contrary, materials are hard and cheap, the look is drab, the seats are flat and the wheel doesn't telescope, just to name a few offenses."

And this is why I never liked it. Felt like a toy. Also the transmission tunnel is so big you have almost no room for your feet and end up sitting crooked in the front seats.

Edited by JStump

I would stick to that idea of a 3 series. I'm sure you're talking a newer model but, I'm still in love with my old E30 and am dead set on owning another in my lifetime and keeping it. It'll be able to handle all OH driving conditions easily with a set of tires for the winter. You'll also have something fun to drive in the warmer weather.

You could find a good Subaru in that price as well which would be a car on my list.

Or just stay with Toyota and get a Corolla and keep saving for something that's not a daily commuter.

Edited by Radio Flyer

I used to have the same opinion when they first came out. Then te girl I was hanging out with last year bought one and with much experience driving it, my mind was changed and I loved that thing