$20,000 for an automobile, what would you buy?

e-flores

So test drove the 2 door wrangler last night and like BTD said I love it. Man I felt like I was driving a mini monster at times. The engine and 6spd. Manual transmission are great and to tell you the truth everything else is what you expect from a jeep but just a tad nicer. I'm pretty much sold. I couldn't come to a point of buying last night because of the price point being $4000 more than what I initially wanted to pay but hopefully if I'm

Able to shop around a little more I will be able to find one closer to the price point I'm looking for. In the meantime keep your ideas coming. I may be going to test drive a 330xi this weekend depending on my schedule with family and such.

And one of the very worst rated vehicles on the road, but don't just take my word for it. I rented a new 2012 while down in Florida back In August, and I could not wait to turn it back in. What Edmunds says in this article is pretty much spot on IMHO.

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/liberty/2012/

I considered buying a 1012 patriot(basic version) but didn't get around to test driving one as my wife said she wanted something with 3 rows so we can haul other peoples kids(gtfo...) I did some research and they seemed like a pretty good bang for the buck @ $17k. I think I used a few sites for my research and the good seemed to outweigh the bad, but then I said fuck it and bought a motorcycle and decided I'll just buy a traverse(or similar) when my kids get older.

I've heard the kia souls are nice from a few owners I know, but I'm not really a fan of them, well I don't see my self buying anything without a 3rd row for very long time.

i'd definitely buy certified pre owned in that price range.

here's my short list, depending on my needs/wants/concerns in life:

GTI

WRX

Golf TDI

BRZ/FRS

G35 coupe

328i

S2000

your mom

ducati somethingsomething

You don't want a gti. Have one and its stupid expensive to fix.

I work at BMW right now and I'm probably going to save up for an e46 3 series. I have fallen in love with them, or hell even the new 1 series is awesome.

I work at BMW right now and I'm probably going to save up for an e46 3 series. I have fallen in love with them, or hell even the new 1 series is awesome.

My brother in law owns a tdi Jetta and he needed a new starter and went in to a parts store and they told him your better off just buying a new car.... And that seems to be the story with all VW. Exactly why the gti isn't on my list though my shortlist looks a lot like jbots including his mom.

wait, so a GTI is stupid expensive to fix but e46 and e82 are going to be cheap to fix and maintain? or are you just saying that the bmw's are simply awesome? i would agree with the latter, disagree profusely with the former with the exception of if the owner of said bmw works at a dealership or has a connection with service department or tech.

My brother in law owns a tdi Jetta and he needed a new starter and went in to a parts store and they told him your better off just buying a new car.... And that seems to be the story with all VW. Exactly why the gti isn't on my list though my shortlist looks a lot like jbots including his mom.

my mom is VERY reliable. and her starter never breaks... even if it does, you can kick start. just out of curiosity, what year jetta tdi and how many miles between starters being needed to be replaced?

I used to have the same opinion when they first came out. Then te girl I was hanging out with last year bought one and with much experience driving it, my mind was changed and I loved that thing

I have a good friend who had one (and incidentally traded it for a two door), and it was a nice vehicle. But Wranglers have two doors. When you put four doors on it, it becomes something else. Call it the Cherokee Off-Road for all I care, but it's like giving a Miata a hard top and four doors. It's not a Miata anymore. It's an Mazda3.

Subaru BRZ (either new, or just barely used (<8k) for a small price break)

Pros: New, warrantied, quality build, fun, decent MPG.

Cons: Insurance, winter

I second this. But a BRZ is all wheel drive so wouldn't be so bad in the winter imo.

thought: keep the Tercel through the winter, assuming it's still road-worthy. keep it until it costs more to fix than it's worth.

advice: IF you buy German or American, find a one/two year old vehicle that has the Certified/Pre-owned warranty from the manufacturer. Will normally extend you to 6 years/100,000 miles. Definitely needed on German cars. I speak from experience, having owned Audi (A6, A8, S5) and knowing the prez of the M-B owner's club.

misc. rambling: the newest 4 wheeled vehicle I own is a 2004. My cars/truck have 91,000, 107,000 and 131,000 miles on them. They all look respectable (no major dings, no rust), and they all run fine. I could pay cash for just about any new vehicle except a Veyron, but just can't justify it to myself. But, I'm not your age, and i'm not chaufeuring young women around, either - and we know that even though they shouldn't, they will judge you in part based on what you drive.

thought: narrow your choices to 4 (or less) vehicles. test drive one of each. decide which one you want, then find the best deal you can. since you have a running vehicle you should have plenty of time to find a great deal.

For myself, I wouldnt spend $20k on a car.

agreed.

I tend to cap my car-buying purchases around $10k. I've gone $15k for the wife...

But that's why people were asking what your needs are for this vehicle. Those of us who are married (or just have multiple vehicles) have the ability to pick and choose what each is good at.

I may seriously considera a Nissan Leaf, or some other electric vehicle the next time my wife and I need to replace our commuter. But that's how we function; one car that takes me back and forth to work daily (in a suit. bike isn't an option), and then we need a second car to tow the trailer, take on long trips, and fit 120 lbs. of dogs (or passengers, if we're feeling social).

For a do-it-all car that's fun to drive, gets good mileage, and fits all your stuff, I really like the Mazda 3 wagon. I'd consider snow tires for it, but it probably doesn't even need them. If they made an AWD model with a 6 speed, I would absolutely buy one.

Edited by redkow97

My friends got a really clean Mazdaspeed 3 he's looking to sell soon. Sporty yet roomy at the same time. Not completely riced out and no amateur high school shit either.

BMWs are amazing to drive. The feel is great and the luxurious interior of any of the mid-level vehicles from the luxury brands cant be beat. I spend a considerable amount of time in my vehicle and enjoy the finer things in life. But be prepared to pay to keep them maintained, and they do have issues later on down the road past warranties...nothing major like a new engine though.

Edited by ohdaho

my mom is VERY reliable. and her starter never breaks... even if it does, you can kick start. just out of curiosity, what year jetta tdi and how many miles between starters being needed to be replaced?

I think a 2007 and around 80,000. The quote came because I'm pretty sure the guy was saying that every part you buy is expensive.