So your DOT helmet is safe huh?

Tonik

Got this from a rider I know in a CLV riding group. DOT helmets apparently get the sticker when they are first made if the manufacturer believes they will pass the test. It can be a year or more before the DOT actually tests the helmet. If it fails then the manf. issues a recall. So who here registers their helmet so they get the recall notice? Not I.

Original article here:

http://www.allaboutbikes.com/products/helmets/1469-dot-or-not-motorcycle-helmets-that-dont-meet-the-mark?sms_ss=facebook

The ODI website to check to see if your helmet is a FAIL:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Euro standards in general are set up more like EPA certs here in the US. Manufacturers must prove it first. Weird, because the ISO9000 is the opposite. By ISO9000 standards, any manufacturer that deliberately makes a helmet that is below standards of DOT, should be banned from manufacturing helmets.

DOT is abused in that respect. Anyone can make a helmet and put a DOT sticker on it pending approval. So basically if you want a 20 dollar helmet for your 20 dollar head, go for it. Choose a helmet with some expectations of value.

There's nothing wrong with the DOT standard in general. And in it's own way, can be considered superior to the SNELL. Same for the SNELL. It can be considered superior to the DOT. Neither certification is perfect.

• 3 months later...
Euro standards in general are set up more like EPA certs here in the US. Manufacturers must prove it first. Weird, because the ISO9000 is the opposite. By ISO9000 standards, any manufacturer that deliberately makes a helmet that is below standards of DOT, should be banned from manufacturing helmets.

DOT is abused in that respect. Anyone can make a helmet and put a DOT sticker on it pending approval. So basically if you want a 20 dollar helmet for your 20 dollar head, go for it. Choose a helmet with some expectations of value.

There's nothing wrong with the DOT standard in general. And in it's own way, can be considered superior to the SNELL. Same for the SNELL. It can be considered superior to the DOT. Neither certification is perfect.

I agree, that's why I go for ECE.

If you have a $20 head why bother with the helmet :burnout:

interesting article about snell testing

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

nice of the director of the snell foundation called them malcontents for pointing out how their standard wasnt all its cracked up to be.

IIRC the new snell certification does address these points

nice of the director of the snell foundation called them malcontents for pointing out how their standard wasnt all its cracked up to be.

The read from Hell. I got 1/4 of the way through before I went ADD. There's some very valid points in there though.

• 2 weeks later...

The Snell group was kinda pissed at motorcylist for the results of the testing they did. Eventually Snell got wise and is revising thier standard for a new certification 2010 which account for some of the Dot/snell differerences. Any Snell 2010/Dot helmet now is a pretty good way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Tracks out here don't recognize any other rating besides Snell, your helmet can be ECE cert or any other cert that is just as good or better than Snell, but if it doesn't have a Snell sticker (most current two years) they wont let you on the track.

Some people just don't know how to react when they are proven wrong.

I've got an Arai Corsair RX-7. Not bragging, just throwing some perspective. I'm replacing it this weekend with a ECE 22.05 rated helmet. Seems that our Snell rated helmets may not be as safe for our brains as we think. Here's a link to an article worth reading. Make up your own mind.

The High end helmets like the Arai Corsair RX-7, Shoei X-12, Bell Star, etc, are designed for racing. They are noisy and light weight; designed to flow maximum amount of air and keep you alive in a high speed impact. At low speeds they may end up giving you a bigger headache b/c they are stiffer than the cheap plastic composite shell helmets; but they weren't designed to be crashed at 25 mph, they were designed to crash at 125+ mph. So get the right helmet for what you're doing. Are you just tooling around town on your ninja 250? then don't get an X-12; do you enjoy pushing your bike to the limit on the track every other Sunday? then don't settle for a ZXR. And for heavens sake make sure the helmet fits; no, you don't wear an XL.