What i did in guns.

kawi kid

I am considering becoming an NRA instructor so I can teach basic pistol and chl classes. Any instructors out there PM me. I see the NRA offers insurance? To start out, I think would teach to groups of friends. I have a possible chance of becoming an employee of a local indoor range to be an instructor.

I know my circle of friends would run out shortly after a few classes,but not sure about teaching to the general public.

I have spoken to my instructor and his feeling is along as what the NRA structures and follow the guide lines in the state of Ohio spells out, is that enough?

Thoughts?

As far as i know there is no set state rule on the shooting portion of the test?

It would be one thing to add additional voluntary training and shooting skills/competency added to a course, but it should not be mandatory on a pass/fail just because the instructor says so or feels that way. Ohio law states "competency" for passing on the range portion, we shot at 15 feet if I remember right? Instructor said shooting anybody beyond 20 feet in Ohio for defending yourself "no stand your ground" you are more than likely in deep shit if they can prove it. So his philosophy was to be competent within the legal shooting distances, take advanced courses if you really want to improve your skills and really get to know your weapon. Any instructor that fails a student beyond 20 feet in my opinion, needs to seriously re-think what they are doing. Now if the class/instructor states the minimum requirements to pass beforehand and you still go, then you have no one to blame but yourself for taking that class.

Edited by Pokey

Our class shot at 15 feet. Our range drill was to show safe handling of a fire arm. We started with one round, fired. Then loaded 2 rounds. When we loaded 3 rounds we fired one round, were instructed to drop the mag, clear the round,show firearm was clear. From then on,we shot 5 rounds and had to hit a plate plate at 15 feet. There were 6 people inn our class. At the end, there was a video from the NRA that had the aftermath of a burglar being shot by the home owner. We discussed what we just watched and touched on the Ohio castle doctrine.

Instructor said shooting anybody beyond 20 feet in Ohio for defending yourself "no stand your ground" you are more than likely in deep shit if they can prove it.

So someone's shooting at you from 75ft, do you:

a) run away trying to maintain a minimum 75ft gap, because handguns aren't effective at that range for most people

b) run towards the shooter to close the gap to 20ft maximum before you shoot back

c) wait to see if he closes the gap to less that 20ft or gets lucky from further

d) switch to rifle :D

So someone's shooting at you from 75ft, do you:

a) run away trying to maintain a minimum 75ft gap, because handguns aren't effective at that range for most people

b) run towards the shooter to close the gap to 20ft maximum before you shoot back

c) wait to see if he closes the gap to less that 20ft or gets lucky from further

d) switch to rifle :D

If in public I know that my concealed piece is not hitting anything at 75 feet, A 1.75 inch barreled airweight in .357 magnum is a 10-15ft gun tops. I will take option "A".

If at home and I get to it first, 12gauge OObuck for all situations between muzzle and 50 yards. :cool:

If in public I know that my concealed piece is not hitting anything at 75 feet, A 1.75 inch barreled airweight in .357 magnum is a 10-15ft gun tops. I will take option "A".

If at home and I get to it first, 12gauge OObuck for all situations between muzzle and 50 yards. :cool:

Castle law at home and in your car, so the bad person that wants to harm you or take your shit.......is probably going to the morgue. Ohio not having a stand your ground law doesn't do us any favors should we need to use deadly force, of course stand your ground doesn't always protect you either. Choosing to shoot, not shoot, or brandishing your weapon are all scenarios that each has an outcome, you just hope that the right one is chosen. The victim isn't always the victim unfortunately, thanks to our sometimes tainted judicial system and messed up "gray area" state laws. So I think the advice and reason for why my CHL instructor said 20 feet or less, is pretty sound advice. Most attacks are up close, fast, and way too personal, so good marksmanship beyond 20 feet is pretty much not needed. ;)

Edited by Pokey

I would drop two rounds in the bad guys chest at 75 feet if I were being shot at. Just not one handed with my weak hand LOL!

While being shot at, with a heartbeat of 160+, with tunnel vision, with your body all hyped up on adrenalin, while most likely moving, with a pistol?

I highly doubt it.

I don't know you or your background...but that would take a particular set of skills, skills that only real life and death situations would hone.

I couldn't, and I'm willing to bet 99.99% of the general non military/LEO community couldn't either.

Instructor said shooting anybody beyond 20 feet in Ohio for defending yourself "no stand your ground" you are more than likely in deep shit if they can prove it. So his philosophy was to be competent within the legal shooting distances, take advanced courses if you really want to improve your skills and really get to know your weapon. Any instructor that fails a student beyond 20 feet in my opinion, needs to seriously re-think what they are doing. Now if the class/instructor states the minimum requirements to pass beforehand and you still go, then you have no one to blame but yourself for taking that class.

Let me start with I'm an NRA instructor and have been teaching CCW since 2005.

While your average Self Defense shooting is in close, I've never heard this 20 ft nonsense. Hell, the old Tueller drill teaches anyone within 21ft with a knife is a lethal threat.

There is no legal shooting distance in the state of Ohio.

If you think that its unreasonable to be failed if you can't hit an IDPA/silhouette target at 50-75 ft in a classroom setting with an instructor to coach you, then do us all a favor, sell your guns and for the love of all that is holy, quit posting on gun threads.

• Upvote 2

I know its not a defensive distance but 75 feet is not that hard to hit center mass on a man sized target.

You are absolutely correct. Outside of trying to use a pocket gun, 75 ft with say a glock 26 is easily doable.

Pocket guns are great to carry, but terrible to learn on. I always recommend getting proficient with something bigger first, then moving to the smaller platforms. Then, know what is the limits of that smaller platform.

The point is, it's not a requirement.

Not even close.

How could you(not you, but others) fail by failing something that's not a requirement.

You better hope the state doesn't find out, you're liable to lose your license and have to redo the whole course.

You, sir, are wrong. Instructors set the requirements for passing their course.

I was shooting it pretty good, better then normal but the damn .40 cal hurts my wrist. I think thats why I have such a flinch I have to over come. Wish I woulda got a .22 or a 9mm for my first hand gun.

Double cover your ears, plugs and muffs. Dry shoot at home, a lot. Shoot a smaller number of rounds on your range trips. Have someone randomly load snap caps in your gun.

Rent a 22 at the range.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Casper unpinned this topic